5 race rule for Nats, where is it?

peterswarts

Hi Folks,

My understanding has always been that you need to have 5 races to compete in Nationals. Well I cannot find this anywhere in the rules. Is this no longer a requirement? Because it looks like I may not have 5 races in yet if I can't find it in the CCR, HC rules, or Regional Supplement, I will be participating.

Anyone know where it is?

Thanks

Hi Folks,

My understanding has always been that you need to have 5 races to compete in Nationals. Well I cannot find this anywhere in the rules. Is this no longer a requirement? Because it looks like I may not have 5 races in yet if I can't find it in the CCR, HC rules, or Regional Supplement, I will be participating.

Anyone know where it is?

Thanks

My question is how are they checking this? When you originally register online? When you show up at the gate to register? Mylaps? Regional results website?

It's in the National supps on the championships page.

5 races or 3 races + 2 TTs will work for race group qualification. Remeber its races, not weekends.

I am running 2 races and 2 TTs this weekend to make my quota.

As for checking, I don't know...

It's in the National supps on the championships page.

Well does anyone think it should be on the NASA main site with the rules? I didn't even know this site was here. And it's kind of bad when you have to go hunting for things like this. Even the reginal sups should have links off the main rules page. One stop shopping.

• National Staff

Pete, why do you think you won't have 5 starts under your belt?

Front page of the NASA Championships website.

Middle item in the page.

http://socal.drivenasa.com/RegsNats2011.pdf

5. Eligibility

The requirements set forth below must be met in their entirety.

1) Race class competitors must start and score points in five (5) races in a nationally

recognized series. Any number of races in any class and any region will qualify as credit. Participation in Time Trial will be limited to a maximum of 2 credits towards race class qualification. Endurance events less than 6 hours will count as 1 race credit for the team. Endurance events more than 6 hours will count as 2 race credits for both the drivers of the team.

2) Drivers may participate in any racing class at the Championships, regardless of class(s) run to qualify (racers may not participate in TT unless qualified per TT rules).

3) Once the above qualification requirements are met, a competitor may enter as many classes as they wish.

4) Time Trial competitors must meet qualification requirements in 2011 TT rules.

5) Teams as outlined in the CCR Section 22.4 are eligible for this event, with the

exception of Sections 22.4.5, 22.5 and 22.6.

6) Any driver that qualifies for the Championships as part of a team may enter any

class(s) but as an individual.

7) If competitors enter as a Team, both drivers do not have to be present at the event,

but the Championship result will be scored in the Team name.

8 ) NASA Management/Promoter reserves the right to invite competitors that do not fit

within these guidelines.

9) Each class must have at least 4 entries by midnight (PST), September 1, 2011 in

order to be defined as a “Championship Race”.

10) Those drivers that enter an undersubscribed class will be given notice and given a

full refund or offered the opportunity to compete in another class where their vehicle can be classified.

Pete, why do you think you won't have 5 starts under your belt?

Don't remember that being there in May.

I have not been out at all this season. I still have car issues. Heck, I'm trying to bolt back on my old door skins just because I can't get the new ones done. Put my H2 engine back in that has never been started yet because the H1 engine still needs final work. Stil have to rewire the OBD2 harness for OBD1 Dizzy. I'm supposed to be at mid-ohio right now. If I can't get this all sorted out, not only don't I get 2 races but am out $900 for a weekend that I did not participate in (between hotel, garage, and 3 days). Just so frustrated over everything that I'm about to quit. Between the year I have had just trying to get out, work being a pain, the rule changes, the tire junk (there's another $1000 that it also seems I just wasted). Wasted $330 at Hyperfest for another event I could not get the car for. With Nasa implementing more of a no refund policy lately and the rule changes this year, I've lost much enjoyment with NASA. If the rules had been left alone, I could have gotten around the work issues and came out a bunch without spending anything more then the costs for NASA. Too many things this year I don't agree with.

So I sit here depressed, tired of fighting the car and the rules, and wondering what to do.

Oh well. Back to work on the car and seem if I can still salvage this weekend.

Pete, I know it's been a discouraging year for you, but fight through it. It'll pay off. We have a race at Summit next weekend you can get under your belt. You can always mitigate your expenses too. If money is an issue, sell your Nats paddock spot (Looks like Oltd/Olson are paddocking in the grass, so I'll proably join them there. You should should join us out there). Sell your hoosiers after Nats. Get the $500 from HPD for Nats.

If you can't get 5 races under your belt, perhaps NASA can waive it. I can't imagine anyone would be against letting you in, afterall, you've been racing HC fro quite a while.

"8 ) NASA Management/Promoter reserves the right to invite competitors that do not fit

within these guidelines."

Pete,

have you not taken advantage of NASA's refund policy for any of this? You know that you have up 'til 5 days after the event to get a full refund for a race entry minus a $50 admin fee right? If any of these entries were for TT then that is different as that must be cancelled 1 week prior to the event, but there is no reason that you should not be getting your $$ back if you don't attend as long as you use the process.

http://www.nasagreatlakes.com/pages/nasa_docs.asp?doc=Fees_and_Refund_Policy

Regards,

Sam

Hey Sam,

Race Class Refund Policy

Race fees vary depending on the track and time of year. Please check the registration link for each event for actual cost. Fees are fully refundable, less a $50 processing fee provided that you registered at least 12 days in advance and you notify the NASA GL or MW region within 5 days following the missed event. No partial refunds allowed. Once the car hits the track all fees are non refundable. If a race group is full, no refunds are permitted.

So I am out of luck for 2 events this year. And I may just end up missing a 3rd now but that one I should be able to refund. Just can't win.

• 4 months later...

Can someone explain the TT credits? I know that a normal weekend of racing will count as two races towards the 5. Does each TT day count as 1 race, or an entire 2 day TT weekend count as a race? It also says a maximum of 2 TT credits, that the same as 2 race equivalents?

(sorry, just trying to plan ahead )

thanks,

-jim

Jim,

Each TT "day" is counted as a race, so each 2-day weekend will count as 2 TT races. Also, 2 of those TT races can be used as credits toward the 5 races needed to be eligible for a race class at the Championships, so in all a driver could do 5 races in TT and 3 races in a race class and then be eligible to compete in both TT and Race groups at the Championships.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Sam

Thanks Sam,

So one could run 1 weekend, double dip in HC and TT for saturday and sunday, and have 4 of the 5 towards the nats?

While i'm on stupid questions, what happened to HC4?

-jim

FWIW, I plan on TT, PT and HC (or SU if PT/HC are same group) in one weekend this year. Last year I had to do a borrowed car, 1-session TT on the last Sunday event before Nats just to qualify after being wrecked out in Saturday's race.

Thanks again, Sam

No worries, Ron, you know the car is always available if you need it.

In 1 weekend you won't be able to qualify for TT at the Championships, but you can definitely take care of the race requirements.

Regards,

Sam