First NASA Race, first race PERIOD in HC

hagakure

Got my NASA Provisional License last Saturday, did my first race Sunday with HC at Thunderhill in Mike Lock's (now mine:) old Prelude. The Car is great, so balanced and predictable. Car was just dynoed at 175 WHP 141 TQ, Ran 2:04s, It was a blast! Thanks to Brian Z, Bob and Vic for being so nice and welcoming. We all ran within a few tenths of each other. It was a fun race for me until two laps to go when I got tapped from behind into a spin by a thunder roadster. I should have got my License Long ago! This is much better than just turning laps in TT! Some Video below, I'll post more later with more a ctual racing action.

Percy - I met you briefly on Saturday. I was driving the white Civic EK hatch in HPDE-4. In the following video, I followed your car - starting at around 80 seconds into the video.

On Sunday, during the last session of the day, I had my front driver side brake rotor suddenly break going into turn 10 where the eight bolts holding the rotor to the hat sheared off on the two piece rotor. It was rough trying to get the car slowed down, plus it pulled really hard to the right. Luckily, there is a good amount of flat runoff room, plus the dirt/grass was dry so the car didn't roll. Scary though...

Anyway, it was nice meeting you. I'm not sure if I'll eventually get to w2w race, but it is nice to see the car/head count for Honda Challenge increase in Nor Cal. - Jim

Well, finally-welcome to HC!

Got my NASA Provisional License last Saturday....

This whole time I thought you already had your license!

It was a blast! Thanks to Brian Z, Bob and Vic for being so nice and welcoming. We all ran within a few tenths of each other. This is much better than just turning laps in TT!

Not too long ago you were always sketchy about running in HC. Whether it was some of the incidental body contact or the crowded race groups, there was always a reason for you not to race. Glad you decided to give it a try. See you on the track sometime!

Just needed to get to the point where there was a deep willingness to take the plunge...needless to say, I'm hooked now! I hope that there are more cars in HC next year.

Percy, it was great racing with you. You were fast and made good decisions. It was too bad Bob's car was totaled by one of those Thunder Roadsters. Looks like Brian Z. was the only HC car to not get hit by one of those guys. I wish they would give those guys and the legends their own group. Then they could run over each other all they want and not be destroying our cars.

Percy, it was great racing with you. You were fast and made good decisions. It was too bad Bob's car was totaled by one of those Thunder Roadsters. Looks like Brian Z. was the only HC car to not get hit by one of those guys. I wish they would give those guys and the legends their own group. Then they could run over each other all they want and not be destroying our cars.

I hate those guys with a passion, they can't seem to get it out of their head to stop racing out of class. I think that I had contact with ~2-3 of them last year.

Percy,

Glad to see you out there, congrats on joining the group. I'll be back someday, this year I'm not competing because my co-driver is no longer running NASA, and because I took a job for lesser money.

Thanks Vic,

I REALLY enjoyed running with you guys! Austin, looking forward to racing with you one day. Yes, those TR gys need thier own run group...I shudder to think that I almost bought opne of those things!

It was too bad Bob's car was totaled by one of those Thunder Roadsters.

WTF?!

I shudder to think that I almost bought opne of those things!

WTF?!

Not my first race but my first in HC resulted in a DNF from a Thunder Roadster at the last MW/GL race weekend.

For those coming, no, 3 wide in the keyhole at Mid-Ohio does not work

Not my first race but my first in HC resulted in a DNF from a Thunder Roadster at the last MW/GL race weekend.

You can go 3 wide through the keyhole, just not with two Thunder Roadsters.

It was too bad Bob's car was totaled by one of those Thunder Roadsters.

WTF?!

I shudder to think that I almost bought opne of those things!

WTF?!

2 turns left on the last lap and Bob was taken out by two TRs. He went air born landing on the nose of his car rolling over 2-3 times then hitting the wall at the exit of 13. The TR ended up on it's lid also. Bob was shaken up but not seriously hurt. The car was not so lucky. Looks like at least a new chassis.

2 turns left on the last lap and Bob was taken out by two TRs. He went air born landing on the nose of his car rolling over 2-3 times then hitting the wall at the exit of 13. The TR ended up on it's lid also. Bob was shaken up but not seriously hurt. The car was not so lucky. Looks like at least a new chassis.

HOLY CRAP!!!!

Sorry to hear that happened Glad Bob is ok and the roll cage did its job. Nor Cal HC just can't seem to grow

Nor Cal HC just can't seem to grow

My current plan is to move to the Nor Cal area early next year. I'll be outgunned (need cams/valvetrain/IM/retune/camber arms/aero/ITR brakes) but I'll run H2.

Sorry to hear that , Ron. That explains why your car went to the sidelines early!!!! Had them all over me 2-wide at Madness and exit of Thunder Valley during the last MW/GL weekend @ Mid-Ohio as well!

I've had several of those "3-wide @ the keyhole" experiences with those big bore Thunder guys, especially when my EK was still supercharged running PTB (prior to H2 days). Not easy but doable !!! All I can do was mumble unprintables and drive hard as best I can to avoid contact ....

See y'all at the 2011 Champs and wishing everyone the best !!!

Edgar Villarroya

Villarroya Motorsports - edvRacing

#888 '00 Civic Si (H2/PTD)

NASA Great Lakes Region

Interesting that there are complaints about TR drivers all over the country. I really don't like them being int he class due tot he fact they are VERY difficult to see due to being somlow-slung.....