924S Build in Progress - Dallas, TX

Sm00thindian

Great to meet you Kilynn, even if it was for a brief few minutes! I will say that I talked to you more than I did that other 924S guy, Ryan!!! Sorry we didn't catch up last weekend. I saw you briefly and then you were off Sunday to training. Hope everything was OK for both of your cars!

It was nice to meet you too Todd. I had a pretty good weekend. No mechanical failures... and no contact you can't ask for more than that. Meeting the Texas 944 Spec fellas was well worth the price of admission. I had a huge headache and went home after the last session on Saturday or I would have been able to talk with you all even more.

didn't get a chance to swing by the car and meet ya, but maybe next event. And I'll probably be easier to spot with an MR2 than with Laura's RX8 anyway

• 2 months later...

Build update -

I acquired a spare motor for my project, a true 61k 83 - 944 so it will have the extra crossdrilled crank which is nice. I've heard some talk that the 83 heads are not up to par with the rest of the 944 years. Does anyone have some comparative performance data that supports that? It came with a lot of the spares I like to have, most of the electrical, plumbing, and braking stuff from the ECU forward.

Since I'll need to replace my windshield anyway (it's cracked and has to come out for my cage) I acquired a Lexan windshield for the car.

The front end is apart and I'm refreshing the suspension at the moment. I'm still searching for 30mm solid or 31mm hollow torsion bars if anyone has a set.

I also got another set of late offset phone dials so I've got 2 sets of spec dials and the thinner 15x6 that come on the 924s to roll it around.

I've also acquired a digital copy of the Porsche repair manuals and updated them to be searchable. This I've found to be invaluable during my project. If you would like a copy please email me at deadprez[dot]racing[at]gmail[dot]com

That's it for the update for now. Thanks to everyone in 944 spec for their help.

Al, BJ, Chris, Todd, Curtis, Ryan, and everyone else!

• 2 weeks later...
I've heard some talk that the 83 heads are not up to par with the rest of the 944 years. Does anyone have some comparative performance data that supports that?

Not specifically. We do know that the ports in the head are a little smaller than the later heads. Does it make any difference? We don't really know. Conventional wisdom says bigger ports = more performance. Of course one could argue that it slows air intake velocities below high RPMs hurting low end torque and mid-range horsepower.

I don't think any of us have the time or money to truly test the differences in these heads. My bet is that they are close enough that both will work fine.

-bj

It's a little unclear if there are variations within the early heads. BJ has found some early heads with slight casting differences form other 6R heads that I've seen, and have measured identical port volumes to an 8R head. FWIW, 6R headed motors have won more than one National Championship, so it seems they perform well in practice.

It's a little unclear if there are variations within the early heads. BJ has found some early heads with slight casting differences form other 6R heads that I've seen, and have measured identical port volumes to an 8R head. FWIW, 6R headed motors have won more than one National Championship, so it seems they perform well in practice.

The heads with the "dimples" in the intake runners and exhaust ports are the ones I've been told to stay away from. Apparently, there are multiple versions of the 6R head as Eric has found. Honestly the more motor builds I do and the more I research, the less convinced I become that there is a secret recipe for a spec motor. I think you could probably find a combination of parts that will yield a peak HP number of 140 or more, but that doesn't mean it will be a competitive race motor. I'm guessing that to get that number, you'll be giving up low and mid-range power. Thus, it may pull at the top, but not get you out of the corners. The real story is that if you have a healthy motor of any configuration and can drive the car well, you can win races. Thus don't worry about model numbers and just race it!

-bj

• 1 month later...

I'm getting ready to mount my seat, I'm considering welding in a metal plate and then mounting the Ultra Shield to that. I know in a perfect world I would have my cage include a sill bar and then build a seat mount attached to that. That is probably going to be seat mount 2.0. For now a beefy metal plate seems to be a reasonable stop gap. I'm thinking 3/16 Aluminum. What are your thoughts?

Seat mounting isn't near as important and harness mounting. The harnesses take all the load in an accident--the seat is just along for the ride. (Just look at the tiny hardware that the factory seat uses.) Just follow the guidelines for belt hardware listed in the CCR and you'll be good.

-bj

What a day, one of the 'cheeseheads' stripped while I was swapping out CV Axles on the 924s today... Finally just cut the head off the bolt, wish I would have done that earlier. Spent a good part of an hour and a half trying other methods to get it out.

What a day, one of the 'cheeseheads' stripped while I was swapping out CV Axles on the 924s today... Finally just cut the head off the bolt, wish I would have done that earlier. Spent a good part of an hour and a half trying other methods to get it out.

This OE bolts are a real PITA! Not only do they round out, but the can come loose and you'll loose a half shaft on track. That's why I like to use the CV kit from Stage 8: http://www.stage8.com/

-bj

Those are nice kits, I've seen them or similar used before.

I just registered for the competition license group for TWS and booked by hotel room. So now everything gets slammed into gear to make the final hump to get ready for licensing.

Those are nice kits, I've seen them or similar used before.

I just registered for the competition license group for TWS and booked by hotel room. So now everything gets slammed into gear to make the final hump to get ready for licensing.

Ill be there with you.

• 5 weeks later...

This OE bolts are a real PITA! Not only do they round out, but the can come loose and you'll loose a half shaft on track. That's why I like to use the CV kit from Stage 8: http://www.stage8.com/

-bj

Whats the part number on those locking kits?

break

Kilynn, get your cage in and come race!

I'm on it Jason, I've got two cars up for sale... once one of them is gone it's as good as done. Anybody looking for a Suburban or an MR2? Hahaha

• 4 weeks later...

The 924S is going back to Clownshoe Motorsports tomorrow for the new 30mm torsion bars and a ride height adjustment. New dash is under construction and body harness too.

• 2 months later...