Taped headlights.

n80

I'm curious about taped headlights. I don't think it is a requirement for HPDE. Maybe for TT. But what is it for, just protection from flying debris? Who does it? Who doesn't? Thanks.

Your right it is protection for your head lights. It would help keep the glass from get on the track also if there were a mishap.

Headlight "glass" is no worse than damaged body work as it isn’t even glass. I believe that the tape keeps tire rubber off of the plastic headlight covers.

Personally, I don’t see the point. If you’re running the car on the track, you have to expect minor chips and scratches. You’ll see these on your normal commute to work as well. You might as well lay on a thick coat of wax and use a good bug&tar remover after the event, rather than looking like a smurf-nosed painter’s mistake all weekend.

Many of the HPDE crowd only run a couple events in their lifetime. I don’t want to explain “blue painter’s tape” to my children and grandchildren who think I was a “real racecar driver”.

• 1 month later...

The car at the bottom of the page you linked to is the same model and color as my car!

The product looks interesting. I saw a lot of nice shiny cars at the track with blue painter's tape on all the places that get lots of dings and road rash. Even at the bottoms of the wheel openings. Fortunately my car is dinged up enough that I don't need to worry about that sort of thing.

However, when I asked my daughter to peel the numbers off my door she gave them a good brisk yank and took off a palm sized patch of clear coat!