First event w/ Miata, question about wheel/tire setup

smbstyle

I picked up my new track toy last month; NA 1.6 Miata w/ 1.8L brakes all around, 6 point cage, seats/harnesses, stripped out, quick release steering wheel, koni shocks w/ aftermarket springs and bumpstops, and a few other odds and ends. When I got the car, it had some p.o.s. rain tires on the team dynamics wheels, and I decided to throw on some Star Specs.

I'm currently running 15x7" Team Dynamics Pro Race 2 wheels with 205/50 Star Specs on the car. I also have 4 Continental Grand-Am scrub slicks (225/45/15) sitting in my garage that I'm thinking about running on the car for my first DE with the Miata, but not sure if I should even bother with them yet....

I've got a year of experience on track with my 2004 CTS-V that was lightly prepped, which I was running R-compounds on, but never ran slicks.

Here's my question; I was thinking about picking up some 15x8 wheels to put the grand-am tires on for track duty, but am I stepping up too quickly to slicks from R-compounds, especially with it being my first event in this car, or will I be okay considering what I am coming from into the Miata?

I'm not sure if I should go straight into the slicks, run the TD/star spec setup for the first year or so, or maybe get rid of the star specs for a better track tire like the RA-1 or NT-01?

Opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

My opinion: the Star Spec setup is the best choice for now. They will help your learning curve because they communicate nicely and will allow you to slide around some as you push the new car more and more. You will know later when you're ready to move up... so save the stickier tires for that time, i.e. when you're "more dialed into" the new car. Again just my opinion... that's what I would do anyway. Star Specs are great tires when ultimate grip isn't the primary goal.

3rd on street tires. The car is more than fun on a good street tire, and youll learn more about driving it. Im glad I kept the RE-11 instead of turning to a multitude of Conti/Hoosier take-offs floating around.