Picking A Number...Can I Do It For HPDE?

PEP Racing

Can I select a number to use on a regular basis for HPDE, or do I have to get one assigned each time I attend an event. It would be nice to buy some magnetic numbers and just toss them on at the track.

Thanks,

I just got my car number from the NCRC, 368. I'm hoping I can use this number for ALL HPDE type events with both clubs so I can buy some cool looking magnetic numbers. Where is the best place to get magnetics?

Thanks,

Do magnetic numbers stick on the car when at track speeds? I thought they were for autocross events. BUT =- - if they will stay, sign me up for a bunch!

Depends of the thickness of the magnets....I had some homemade magnets which I made from some magnetic vent covers which I purchased at home depot. They worked fine for autocrosses (up to 65-70mph), but when I went out on the track, they flew off at my very first event... I guess they couldn't take those 100mph+ speeds

Magnetic numbers will stick much better if you tape the leading edge down (the main problem is air getting under that edge and lifting them off). Another alternative (that I've gone with, now that my magnetic numbers have my buddies tire tracks accross them!) is static cling vinyl. They are easy to put on and off (although not quite as easy as slapping a magnetic meatball on the side) and look great...

I know that when I register for an HPDE that I summit three numbers that I wanted. Then it was first come. If no one who had register early than me wanting the same number then I would get my first choice. But you may not always get the same number. One person suggested that you pick three numbers that had the same numbers, that is 123 or 321 or 231, you get the idea.

I think that you have to go to a sign shop. I did find vinyal numbers at one of the track's shops at Summit Point. I use black duct tape on my white truck. I have seen others use different colors of tape depending on the color of theie car.

• 2 weeks later...
Depends of the thickness of the magnets....I had some homemade magnets which I made from some magnetic vent covers which I purchased at home depot. They worked fine for autocrosses (up to 65-70mph), but when I went out on the track, they flew off at my very first event... I guess they couldn't take those 100mph+ speeds

I think you need to evaluate where the numbers are placed if you are going to use magnetic numbers. I cut my own out of the vent cover material and have had them on the car at speeds of 120mph without any trouble.

The key is to put them on an area of low aerodynamic pressure so there isn't much high speed airflow - ie, the boundary layer is thick there. That usually occurs by the back edge of the front doors, or in front of the rear wheels. Anywhere around the first 1/3 of the vehicle is too close to the front and will see more wind across the thickness of the material.

I got a set of edecals oval magentics and they work great. I was only doing about 120 MPH but they stayed on fine and didn't appear to have moved at all. If you are worried, just put a tiny patch of tape on the front edge of the magnet and that should remove any chance of lift.

Dan

• 4 months later...

i have a set of the flexible magnetic plates. i tape the leading edge down with black electrical tape for DEs. a budy of mine runs the same plates and doesn't tape them. they've never flown off for him, but i don't want to take any chances.

silver S4 in pic...

DSCF0021.JPG