DE & Boxster S

LBeason

I have a stock 06 Boxster S. Would the car be allowed to run as-is in an HPDE or would I need additional roll-bar protection added to participate?

I have done other DE's this year in the car and have not run into any issues.

One other question: since I have done DE's with other groups and have been signed off for solo, but have not done a DE with NASA, would I need to sign up as HPDE1 or go on to 2? I'm not entirely new to HPDE's but new to the group.

• Members

It is ok as is.

I would call or email the regional director for that region and ask which group they would put you in as a number of factors could come into play.

• 3 weeks later...

Some tracks (e.g. VIR) have their own more limiting rules about open cars, but most do not and the limiting factor is the rule-set of the host organization. NASA allows open cars with factory roll protection (e.g. Boxsters, Z4s, S2000, etc.) to run in HPDE. The safest bet is to contact the group you plan to run with for confirmation on the open car policy for the event you plan to attend.

Aside from what the region and track rules are, just use common sense. Don't drive "flat out" unless you have the proper safety protection.