2012 RULES PROPOSAL 3: Better definition of "tube frame"

JSG1901

Proposal: Provide a better definition of where the tipping point is for a car to be considered "Tube Frame."

Reason: There currently is no procedure for defining this without it being subjective. As an example, if I choose to build out the front end of a car in a tube frame but leave the rear unibody, is this a tube frame car or not? Some may say it is a tube frame car ans others may not.....

If there is a rule chance, I think that the rule should be worded to be parallel with the PCA and BMW club racing definitions of the tube frame rules as to encourage as much cross pollination as possible.

Ed

Agree with the Honorable Mr. Baus (National Champion) on this one. This would make sense. We again, haven't seen much in this area exploiting the "grey" area of the rules.

While there hasn't been much done yet in terms of competitor's use of tube-framing, that i've seen, it would be good to clarify since the current rule does leave itself open to interpretation.

A good example is the 911 originally equipped with torsion bars. Some people do a basic modification of ditching the rear shock crossmember in lieu of a custom fabricated tubular structure. The purpose is simple- improve the pickup point attachments for coilover suspension. It also admit it improves stiffness compared to the original crossmember, which was really intended only to support shock absorber loads, not a large amount of the suspension load.

Does that make it a tube frame car? Not in my mind. It's just an improvement to the rear suspension area

Stock crossmember

chassisjig4.JPG

Modified

Random+2010+52112682228901268237433.jpg

This rule could get really complicated, I think we should just avoid it

But if you NEED to make a rule you probably have to stipulate specific parts of the stock chassis that have to remain in order not be considered tube framed. You probably have to mention something about the floorpan, firewall, fram rails, door sills, A/B/C pillar, rocker panels, and possibly the stock subframes if your car is designed that way.

Again, too complicated to even start.