Trailer Tips

almost heaven

I'm looking for tips on what things to consider when buying a trailer. I want to be able to tow a normally low 2200 lb RX7 and a lowered 3500 lb Mustang. I have a Jeep Cherokee with 5.7L and tow package so that should not be a problem. The biggest issue I see is that I want to be able to back it up my short (30 ft) inclined driveway and put in my garage, so the trailer has to be open deck and less than 22 ft long total. The driveway incline will prevent use of a beaver tail I'm pretty sure. Does such a thing exist or will I need to look at custom if I want to do that? Also, what's the opinion on rock guards? Thanks.

I assume you mean you want to tow one car at a time...Most open decks I have seen that describe what you are looking for are 16-18 ft and come with/without the beavertail. They usually weigh under 2000lbs so the Jeep should be plenty.

I have an 18' (16' flat w/ 2' dovetail) low-deck car hauler from Sweet Rivers Trailers. The manufacturer is Down2Earth. I've had it since mid 2007 and it's been great. I've added a tire rack, storage box and winch mounts over the years. Don't have to carry crazy extra ramps to load my Corvette.

http://sweetriverstrailers.com/metal_deck_low_profile_car_trailer_7000_gvw.html

MDLPCH.jpg

199904_1779819746519_1570178111_1673023_629265_n.jpg

188906_1779708663742_1570178111_1672630_3228974_n.jpg

Used to tow it with a GMC Canyon with a few mods, now tow with a Nissan Titan. The Canyon wouldn't win a drag race, but would tow it just fine with the air springs, brake controller and Equalizer hitch. The Titan tows it with ease.

15832_1212794691247_1570178111_520059_4341123_n.jpg

301199_2321081677729_1570178111_2232934_1776187791_n.jpg

~Brian

contact a couple trailer dealers in your area (preferably start with any that may support your local NASA region ) and just see what they've got that will fit your needs. The animal you'll need does exist, but it may not be super common.

What's the actual tow rating on the Cherokee? I like to have excess capacity (I shoot to only use ~50-66% of it) because it means I've got plenty of extra control over the load I'm carrying but some people will push it a little more. If you are pushing it somewhat, please take extra care with following distances, the speeds you tow at, etc. Towing to the racetrack is often times more dangerous than actually driving on it

Kauffman Trailer is in Lexington, NC which is just southwest of Winston-Salem. They build them onsite there and you can have it built to order if you choose.

I have an 18' with a dovetail and it works great for the 99 Cobra I used to run and my Z06 that I have now. You are correct, the dovetail is going to cause you problems when attempting to back up an inclined driveway. Opt for 3500lb axles and ensure you get brakes on both axles, it will make a huge difference in your stopping distances.

IMG_7758.jpg

How wide is your garage door (or is it a double-wide)? I have a 2-car with 2 doors and my trailer is too wide.

How steep an incline do you have? I also have an inclined driveway (not steep). With my 15' Econo trailer, and the car fully loaded, I will drag the trailer. Empty I don't have an issue, its that close. Much of it might have to do with where the rear wheels are located to the back of the trailer for getting the right angle, not sure the delta between a 15 and 18 are.

contact a couple trailer dealers in your area (preferably start with any that may support your local NASA region ) and just see what they've got that will fit your needs. The animal you'll need does exist, but it may not be super common.

What's the actual tow rating on the Cherokee? I like to have excess capacity (I shoot to only use ~50-66% of it) because it means I've got plenty of extra control over the load I'm carrying but some people will push it a little more. If you are pushing it somewhat, please take extra care with following distances, the speeds you tow at, etc. Towing to the racetrack is often times more dangerous than actually driving on it

Thanks for the tips. My Jeep will tow 7200 lb. Looks like I need an aluminum trailer to get below 60% of capacity with the Mustang.

I have an 18' (16' flat w/ 2' dovetail) low-deck car hauler from Sweet Rivers Trailers. The manufacturer is Down2Earth. I've had it since mid 2007 and it's been great. I've added a tire rack, storage box and winch mounts over the years. Don't have to carry crazy extra ramps to load my Corvette.

Used to tow it with a GMC Canyon with a few mods, now tow with a Nissan Titan. The Canyon wouldn't win a drag race, but would tow it just fine with the air springs, brake controller and Equalizer hitch. The Titan tows it with ease.

~Brian

Nice. Do you just park the rig outside? Does the equalizer hitch attach to the trailer or truck?

How wide is your garage door (or is it a double-wide)? I have a 2-car with 2 doors and my trailer is too wide.

How steep an incline do you have? I also have an inclined driveway (not steep). With my 15' Econo trailer, and the car fully loaded, I will drag the trailer. Empty I don't have an issue, its that close. Much of it might have to do with where the rear wheels are located to the back of the trailer for getting the right angle, not sure the delta between a 15 and 18 are.

My good news is that I have a single double wide garage door. My bad news is that I have a short, moderately steep driveway. Looks like I'll have to take some measurements and get the pen and paper out to figure out the trailer length and height that will work.

I park the trailer outside next to my house. Cover it with a large green tarp so it doesn't stick out too much. The equalizer hitch has brackets that attach to the trailer.