89 CRX Si bouncing idle, bad sensor??

Patman

Hey gang, I imagine I've got a bad sensor somewhere and don't know what it is. At idle the RPM's bounce. It starts at a normal idle but jumps up to 2000 then drops back down and then back up. It used to just do this intermittently but now, all the time. Until I'm ready to jump into full race prep mode with it I wanted to keep it inspected but the inspector said, "no go," he needs a steady idle for the sniffer test.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

its probably your TPS, but im expecting that someone will jump on here and call me an idiot for jumping to conclusions... but when the tps in my 2nd gen eclipse went out.... it surged to 3000 and back down at idle.... MITSU'S SUCK NUTS!!!! but thats another story....

told you... i totally looked past that.... and when i think about it.. it was one of the wires leading to the tps on my old eclipse, not the sensor... so it probably is a vacuum leak...

Hey gang, I imagine I've got a bad sensor somewhere and don't know what it is. At idle the RPM's bounce. It starts at a normal idle but jumps up to 2000 then drops back down and then back up. It used to just do this intermittently but now, all the time. Until I'm ready to jump into full race prep mode with it I wanted to keep it inspected but the inspector said, "no go," he needs a steady idle for the sniffer test.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

My integra started doing this when it cold. I have checked for vac lines that were broken (it did this before and I found a vac line was broken). But now I have writen it off to the face the car doen not see any "normal" driving to adapt to.

Try setting the engine idle a little lower, the ecm will cause the idle to surge up and down if the base idle is to high or low. Adjust the air by-pass screw on the throttle body, screwing it in will lower the idle. It is possible that a vacuum leak could cause this but it would have to be a small leak or the idle would be way up. Always go for the simple fix first.

Good luck.

P.S. Brandon, you are a........LOL