Hpde Question

White01Snake

I was in Hpde 1 this past weekend at Road Atlanta and I was solo qualified. My question is since I was solo qualified do I sign up for HPDE 2 for my next event???

This was my first event and first track day. I talked with my instructor today he said for me to sign up for hpde 1 and ask for a check ride later on the first day. Thanks for the help!

This was my first event and first track day. I talked with my instructor today he said for me to sign up for hpde 1 and ask for a check ride later on the first day. Thanks for the help!

I may sign off a student for HPDE2 for the next event at the same track.

If another instructor has signed off for another track and you are at a new track, I may indicate OK for HPDE2 next event. I always tell my students - GET AS MUCH INSTRUCTION AS YOU CAN!

Example Road Atl is not hard on brakes and tires, CMP is. Roebling is a nice weekend drive comparitavely.

Barber is a completely different animal, Charlotte is pack you big brass ones, etc.

I would follow your instructors advice, sign up for HPDE1 at a different track and let the chips fall where they may.

Why are students so anxious to get the instructor out of the car??????

a few years later they'll pay good money to get a coach in there to help them figure out why they're off pace and not competitive

So very true, Ken.

• 1 month later...

I think HDPE-2 is a confusing class. My instructor also signed off for me to solo on the last two sessions (at CMP) of my first HPDE. There does not seem to be a big difference (as I understand it) between DE-1 and DE-2 excpet that the instructor is optional. It still costs the same. So I wonder why people want to move up into DE-2 at all.

I guess the main benefit is that in DE-2 you are less likely to be driving with complete, sometimes incompetent, noobs. But, if you get signed off in DE-1 after one event and move right into DE-2 then there is still a chance that there will still be at least a few moderately incompetent semi-noobs like myself out there.

I think there is also a desire for new drivers to feel like they are moving up and making progress. DE-2 sounds like the next big step up.

The only other thing I can think of also relates to ego. It was kind of nice when I was out there for my two solo runs to be able to goof up without my instructor there to see it, especially when it was something we'd gone over and over a dozen times.

Anyway, I'm staying in DE-1 for a while. I need instructor time. I also noticed that for CMP next month DE-2 is filling up but there are only 8 people in DE-1. I'm sure DE-1 will get more entrants but it sure will be nice if there are just 20 or so.

I would hope most instructors do like I do when they sign a student off for a solo session:

Find a place to WATCH your student! For CMP I stand up on the hill and watch them from the kink all the way to turn 1. If they were exhibiting issues in 3,4,5 combo I'lll go up behind the food stand.

After the session, I'll track down my student and find out how THEY felt they did. We'll chat and go over the next session and see if I need to get back in the car. I DO NOT sign them off just so I can leave early on Sunday. You guys pay enough for track time, and I try to emulate and build on past instructors I had when I was moving through the HPDE levels.

Nope, I was supposed to be on travel for CMP and Road ATL weekends.

I'm working on getting the engine done and in the car by the end of March.

Now that I don't have to go on travel until mid-april I'm going to take the wife on a well deserved short vacation that weekend.