2012 GTS rules now available

JSG1901

After a lot of deliberation and very few actual changes, the 2012 GTS Rules are now available and have been posted on the NASA webs site. You can see them here: http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/gts_rules.pdf

We have made changes to only two parts of the rules: The 13/13 and the definition of "tube frame," which we've tried to tighten up a bit.

You will note that we have not eliminated the Modified 13/13 rule but it has gone through a full re-write. It was clear to us from the discussion in this forum that there are very mixed emotions about this particular rule. On the one hand, it was argued, this is an important component of GTS for a lot of drivers who are new to us and coming from, in particular, PCA and/or BMWCCA.

On the other hand, there are a roughly equal number of us (myself included) who think it's (a) not worth the paper it's printed on, (b) completely vague, and © adds little or nothing that's not available in the regular NASA CCR.

This dichotomy was fueled by the fact that 13/13s, just like every other NASA penalty short of license suspension, are regional, not national, penalties even though there was nothing in the text explaining that.

What you will find in the new rules is more clarification of what the 13/13 is and what it is not. It is NOT a national penalty. It is NOT intended for individual on-track situations. Rather, it IS intended to provide series directors and race officials an extra OPTIONAL tool which they can use, when they deem it appropriate, to address chronic or on-going issues.

For tube frames, we changed the wording slightly to include a clarification about exactly what should be considered a tube frame car. The rule of thumb is this: If removing all the tubes would make the car un-driveable, it's a tube frame car.

A quick thank you to everyone who contributed rules change suggestions, participated in the on-line discussion and to the Series Directors who I'm sure are completely sick of discussing this topic. Everyone's help and participation is greatly appreciated.

Good luck with your winter preparations and good luck with next season.

Cheers,

Scott

An eagle-eyed rules reader has pointed out to me that I made some typos in the version currently posted during the process of transposing the old rules to the new ones. These will be corrected shortly but any differences other than those marked in red (except those which fix typos) are unintentional and will be fixed.

UPDATE: Corrections have been made and are in place at the above URL.

Thanks to Scott and those involved in making the changes. I know this stuff isn't all that pleasant to coordinate.

Can't please everyone...... Otherwise what would there be to complain or argue about on the interwebs?

• 2 weeks later...