Brass Brake Bushings

dbgeek

Any thoughts of investigating Solid Brass Brake Bushings?

The sales pitch:

This will result in much longer pad life and more consistent brake system feel. These are a must if you race your BMW.

I know they are illegal in IT, yet are still a subject of argument...

• Members

This allowance was recently integrated into the Se30 rules and could be something we consider.

Does anyone have feeback from the Se30 community on the pro's/con's of their having now allowed it?

In researching/chasing the crappy pedal feel in our cars, I read that the brass bushings don't do squat for pedal feel. But if they help with pad wear, I am all for it. I hate the way our front brakes wear. My last set had one pad worn to the backing plate, another looked like a wedge, and the other two probably had two more events worth on them.

• Members
In researching/chasing the crappy pedal feel in our cars, I read that the brass bushings don't do squat for pedal feel. But if they help with pad wear, I am all for it. I hate the way our front brakes wear. My last set had one pad worn to the backing plate, another looked like a wedge, and the other two probably had two more events worth on them.

When was the last time you rebuilt the calipers?

This allowance was recently integrated into the Se30 rules and could be something we consider.

Does anyone have feeback from the Se30 community on the pro's/con's of their having now allowed it?

only some e30 have ate front calipers that take them, others (like mine) use girlings that are a totally different design. from what i've seen they take a little slop out of the system which may reduce pad taper, doesn't do anything for actual braking performance.

only some e30 have ate front calipers that take them, others (like mine) use girlings that are a totally different design. from what i've seen they take a little slop out of the system which may reduce pad taper, doesn't do anything for actual braking performance.

We seem to be experiencing a couple of issues:

- tapered wear

- FAST wear... front pads last 2-4 weekends

- bent pad backing plates (tabs hanging on caliper, need to be filed for clearance)

- long pedal (for me, it only happens when the pad is worn past 1/2)

My request for brass guides goes hand in hand with some cooling and caliper rebuild in an effort to get reliable, consistent, and longer lasting brakes.

• Members

Brass guides help w/ uneven wear.

Lots of people run them and is almost a track necessity. Just make sure they are clean and properly lubed so they do not bind.

Little to no change in brake feel, but it does reduce caliper flex.

Soft pedal or low engagement issues with the E36s often lead to an expensive brake booster replacement.

And yes, Im trolling the Spec3 boards today Im bored.

• 3 weeks later...

I had some on the car for a bit when I was running HPDEs. I have since removed them to comply with the Spec3 rules and haven't really noticed any difference.

I also haven't noticed any uneven pad wearing on my car, but they do wear out quick in the fronts. I just attributed that to me being pretty hard on my brakes and running backing plates without ducts hooked up.