DD/HPDE options

bigmackloud

Sorry to jump on board with a newb question (I've been browsing the board and get a sense this question is frequently asked)... but here goes...

Goals:

Looking to get into HPDE's and maybe w2w racing down the road. But also need a reliable DD. New job requires 35min drive each way. The wife has a practical/reliable/nice car, so I could get away with a 2dr vehicle.

Currently have a '00 Mustang GT. Heavily built 2V motor, put 613rwhp through a Vortech blower. Only 2k miles on the motor and having oil pressure issues, so the motor is coming back out. So I'm going to have to make some decisions.

In all honesty, the Mustang in it's current setup, ie. belt driven blower, probably isn't best suited for track use... and would need a fair amount of suspension work to handle well.

Options:

1) Fix oil pressure issue in Mustang. Ditch the centri-blower for a turbo setup and do a ton of suspension work. Attempt to drive a 600hp Mustang daily.

--I have enjoyed my Mustang but despite all logic of giving it the best of parts it seems to hate me and has only been driven 2k miles in the last 2yrs because of stupid problems... so we aren't on the best terms. The turbo setup is supposedly more "street friendly". But swapping to a turbo and doing suspension mods isn't cheap either. And a 600hp track car is probably more than I should start my track day career with.

2) Fix oil pressure in Mustang and sell it. Pick up an early C5 Z06 or 99/00 FRC Vette. Do minimal performance/suspension mods, track tires/brakes... Drive the Corvette daily.

--I like the idea of a less modified vehicle, makes it sound more reliable, but it still concerns me using my DD as a track car. Whether its HPDE or w2w, that's some relentless abuse on a drivetrain and I question how long any vehicle can last under those circumstances. Though I've been told the Vette makes an excellent track weapon with minimal mods.

3) Fix oil pressure in Mustang and sell it. Buy ~05 F150 4dr to DD and buy a cheap track car that I can drive occasionally on the street. Use the F150 to pull my track car on an open trailer.

--A 4dr F150 would be functional and it finally separates my DD from my track car. But I would have far less to put into a track car plus I would have maintenance/insurance on 2 vehicles.

4) Whatever you guys come up with.

I do also have a '96 Cherokee that is my current DD, but has 223k miles on it and is lifted with mud tires... ie, not the best DD and won't last forever. (Selling the Cherokee won't be considered since it has been my baby since I was 16)

Thanks in advance.

#3 is the smartest / safest choice

#1 sounds like torture, esp to someone starting out in DE, and esp since it'd be your only car too. Screw that!

#2 is ok, but you'd better hope you don't stuff the car into a wall somewhere along the way. I'd go with a little bit cheaper car so I also had money for a useable commuter car to go side-by side with the more focused track car. I did this route for years as I was starting out in my track addicition. MR2 track car, '89 Mustang as a fun / backup car.

With #3, why register / insure the track car if you're going to tow it to the track?

As for option #3... It is yet to be determined truly how often I will be able to go to HPDE's and if/when I can make a move into actual racing. So I would prefer to keep it a track-focused street car initially. That way I get a bit more use out of it. It may eventually progress into a dedicated track-only vehicle, but if that happens then I know I'm getting my money's worth out of it on the track.

So the question at that point would be, what makes a good sub-$10k track car that could eventually progress into some sort of a race series? I realize spec Miata is hugely popular, but I'm just not a Miata fan, especially since I plan to drive this on the street some. I'm not a "bimmer guy" either, but the older M3's seem to be very popular. Are they really that good? How is maintanance cost on them?

cheers.

All the C5 haters are just jealous that it's an extremely well engineered 30mpg, 186mph capable track car that can be bought for under $10K.

Oh - and they crash well. Just ask Varkwso.

if funds allowed, a C5 as your dedicated track car would certainly rock. but if you're on a budget and you need your tow beast to also be a solid daily driver the funds left may not always allow for such a potent and costly weapon. You may have to look at a lowlier E30 or Miata or something. Which if you're interested in those Spec race classes may not be a bad thing after all....

and don't overlook something that would be good for the lower end PT classes, pretty cheap to own & operate and you get to race against a variety of different cars with different strenghts & weaknesses in different areas which can be pretty dang fun imho (/shameless plug)

I would defiantly go option 3, I have never like the idea of my track being my DD. In the words of my Wife what if you wreck your car, then you SOL. You could get an old BMW, Honda, or Miata.

Option #3. My DD was my track car until my first day in TT. I immediately went out and bought a DD the following week knowing full well that I may wad it up and have no way to get to work.

3) Fix oil pressure in Mustang and sell it. Buy ~05 F150 4dr to DD and buy a cheap track car that I can drive occasionally on the street. Use the F150 to pull my track car on an open trailer.

--A 4dr F150 would be functional and it finally separates my DD from my track car. But I would have far less to put into a track car plus I would have maintenance/insurance on 2 vehicles.

Thanks in advance.

The above. Buy a built car, if you fit a miata is a good choice.

I think having a DD for a track toy is fine while in HPDE. When you get to W2W, everything changes though.

I'm in a similar situation as you. Working through HPDE with the goal of going W2W in AI. I'm using a 2005 GTO for HPDE, and it's also my DD; but I work from home, so the definition of DD for me is "driven once every 2 weeks, or less". The only things I've done to the GTO is brakes, tires and bushings. No need for much more while learning and growing your skill.

That said, if you don't have any track experience, the high horsepower mustang is probably not the best option to start with. And if you ever want to turn the blown mustang into a W2W racer, make sure you check the class rules VERY carefully to see what the power:weight ratio will do to your assigned class. With that kind of power, CMC is out of the question, as well as AI.

If I were in your shoes I'd fix, then sell, the Mustang and pick up something to use as a DD and HPDE toy. When you're ready for W2W, buy a tow vehicle to double as a DD and build the HPDE car into a race car.

What to buy really depends on which W2W class you want to race in down the road. I want to go AI, and have an affinity for GM, so I'd go with a 4th gen F-body, but to each their own ...

My only car is a DD/DE car, but I will only use it in up to DE2. DE3+, TT, or W2W will require a dedicated track car that I can afford to ball up since the risk will be too high that something will happen.

you can get away with it easier if you're in a region with wide open tracks with few things to hit (like TX).

Don't try that at Road Atlanta!

All the C5 haters are just jealous that it's an extremely well engineered 30mpg, 186mph capable track car that can be bought for under $10K.

Oh - and they crash well. Just ask Varkwso.

This... but top speed of an early C5 is 172, the 2001-2004 is 175 and the Z06 is 171... just sayin'

Running HPDEs in your street car is fine when you're in the lower levels of HPDEing, but once you start to get into different tires and better seats and eventually TT you really need a tow vehicle and trailer.

Definitely get rid of the Mustang... I hear they're banning them.

Definitely get rid of the Mustang... I hear they're banning them.

Option #3 would be my choice. I wouldn't track a car that's my daily driver. But you don't necessarily have to have a truck for a daily driver to tow your car to the track. You can always drive your track car there, but if you ever have some type of failure in your track car... you'll be wishing you had another option.

You can find a nice C5 for pretty cheap (under $15k for sure) and only spend on seat time, tires, brakes and fluids. You won't need any power mods till later. If you do any suspension mods, keep it simple. A good set of T1 bars and 04 Z06 shocks work well and aren't too expensive.

You won't need any power mods till later. If you do any suspension mods, keep it simple. A good set of T1 bars and 04 Z06 shocks work well and aren't too expensive.

staying stock power wise and keeping things this simple on the suspension will let the car fit into TTA later on down the road which is a pretty popular class in most regions, lots of spirited and close competition

I'm 6 months ahead of you having done 3 HPDE weekends in my DD and just moved to HPDE2. I already have a dually to tow a boat and have been able to borrow an open trailer so I have been towing the car in case I screw up. It's all stock except for CAI, tuner, "racing" brake fluid and pads for when I'm at the track.......I find myself going through rotors too since it's a 4,300lbs Charger.

I'm buying a car ASAP!!! I'm currently building a big garage and waiting to see what kind of money I have left. My plan is to buy a CMC mustang. There are fairly cheap and I too just can't get "into" a Miata.....although they are tough little road racers in the turns!!!

That F150 idea and a cheap car is by far your best bet. Even if you find you don't like racing (highly unlikely) you can still sell the car and keep the truck. I will be buying a near finished race car but you can get a 100% street car to start off with if desired. Doesn't matter for HPDE.

BTW: 600+hp blower motor for a rookie will just make you look foolish next to experienced drivers.....I'm at 500hp and can verify that!

Got the motor out of the Mustang this weekend and dropped off at the machine shop. Just took a quick peek at it... found some scarring on the cam journals. (the 4.6 doesn't have cam bearings, so it is to be determined if my nicely ported heads are now boat anchors)

I've done a bit more research on the NASA classes. One of the Spec/PT classes could be fun. Sounds like the Corvette would do the job as a DD/HPDE ride but once I got to the point of moving to w2w I would have to part ways with it for a less expensive track car.

Any suggestions on a "cheap" track car? I like the 944 but it seems like they still carry Porsche pricing on parts. There are always the Gen 1&2 RX7s, though I'm not exactly a rotary expert. Maybe an early 90s MR2?

I've done one track day in my daily driver so I'm a total newbie. My car is a high mileage 06 Infiniti G35 coupe, very similar to a Nissan 350Z. It has 300 hp and for me it was fun to drive. It is stock except for track pads and ATE brake fluid. My plan was to keep using it as a DD, which it is great for, and slowly convert it to a full time track day car as it aged and I added a few mods.

Unfortunately some of the 06's have oil consumption issues and mine is burning oil pretty badly. Its got to go.

My plan is to purchase a base model 07 or 08 350Z with moderate mileage and continue the same game plan. Most experienced folks here don't recommend the DD/track car combo but it seems like going to the track 4-5 times a year to do HPDE 1 or 2 with track day insurance in a lightly modified but reliable sports car is doable.

So that is my recommendation: 07 Nissan 350Z with around 60k miles on it. I just missed a squeaky clean one yesterday for under $18k. Perfectly fine as a DD. Reasonably powerful, reasonable handling, serious potential for modifications. Avoid the 06 models with the rev-up engines because they may have the oil consumption issues like my G. The 07-08 have the HR engines with no known issues as far as my research can tell.

Right now if you have a car that you can drive to the track and use as a DD your ahead of the game. With the cost of fuel getting higher the cost of getting to and from the track is much more expensive than a couple of years ago. those cost are making people rethink somethings to save money. Your best money is still spent on track time. You may fine that towing a small tire trailer will make driving your DD work as a track car easier.

It is when you put a cage in your DD that it becomes a real issue. You do not want to hit your head on the cage without a helmet on. Another reason to drive your DD is you may think twice about pushing the limits knowing you need to drive your car home. Personally I would not worry about a track car until I was in DE 3 or 4. Just my $ .02

Option 3 is the only sensible option.

As for car choices, comb craigslist for a small $2-3K car that you don't mind wadding up into a ball and then go learn to drive it. Salvage title cars are awesome for this.

Horsepower covers a multitude of inadequacies as a driver by allowing one to blindly recover lost ground in the straights. Several "real racers" told me long ago that if you really want to be a better driver get a low hp car without sticky tires and learn to drive the lines that maximize your speed carried through the corners. Most people are too hung up on their self image to do that though. Therefore they often end up just being mediocre when they really start w2w racing, or they have a dozen bad habits to unlearn (The guy who ran TTB in a Nissan Sentra at Road Atlanta in December had better times (Joe Ippolito, 1:36.297) than Corvette drivers in the faster TT class above him. I bet he didn't beat them in the straights). It has also been said numerous times "It is much more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow," because anything at the limits of adhesion is a handful and will teach you something.

But this is just what I have gleaned over the years. You asked for opinions and there's mine. Find your own road. And good luck.