OE windshields and hood in service position

Scany

I've cracked two windshields already, partly because of non-OE windshields when the hood gets put back in service position. I'm fortunate enough to work on another Spec3 with a BMW OEM windshield where this was not a problem, making a head replacement a breeze compared to taking the hood off completely or having to bend under the hood and banging up against it and so on.

The problem I've noticed is when the hood goes all the way back in service position, on the non-OEM windshields I've had, there is not enough of a cutout at the sides by the hood hinges and the windshield ends up jammed by the hood, and thus cracking. With a BMW windshield no problem! The hood can be put vertical without touching the windshield (except for when it eventually rests on it in fully vertical position).

Just thought I'd mention this observation in case you need a new windshield and are wondering to get a BMW OEM or any other brand. There are probably some non-OEM that will work as well, but I have had two different kinds and will go with BMW next. It might not seem as a big deal, but when you are doing a head removal and install, it's already a tedious job. You don't really want to have to call your buddy over just to lift off the hood, or stress lifting off the head banging your head on the hood and the hood strut. Trust me on this one!

• 3 weeks later...

Aside from the potential of busting out your windshield...just another reason why sedans are better than coupes

Thanks for the tip Anders, that never really crossed my mind when I had mine open for the motor swap. It was also a replacement from the cage install, but luckily nothing happened to it!

• 1 month later...

I just got a new windshield. Not OEM, but with OEM gasket. This might be what caused the windshield to sit lower. I have not tested yet. my new one is different brand from the last non-OEM windshield as well. There are also some aero aspects worth noting with the OEM gasket so definitely get this and not that generic roll of gasket some places install.