HPDE cost

FLrspec

Sorry if this has been answered I have searched all over the site. If i become a NASA member what is the cost to participate in HPDE class 1 on average. Thanks a lot.

I think that the Nasa event link is http://www.nasaproracing.com/event. You can click on some of the events to get an idea of the cost, as some tracks cost less to run at. Nasa generally gives a discount if you're running Saturday + Sunday vs the cost of a single day. Of course, there is also the cost for fuel, maintenance, hotel room, etc., but that link at least gives you what Nasa charges (plus I think there's a $40 annual Nasa fee). - Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know for sure but it looks like event fees are in part related to which track. But as far as an example I'll list what my expenses were my first time:

NASA membership: $40

Event fee: $279 for CMP (I think RA and VIR are more)

Brake pads for track: $200, no labor, installed myself

Brake fluid: about $15

Flush and fill brake fluid: $50, done by a mechanic, I did not have time

Hotel, 2 nights: about $200 obviously depending on where you stay

Meals for 2 days: varies, Saturday might meal was provided by NASA

HPDE insurance: about $110 for my car. This is optional but I like having it since my car is my DD too.

A couple of tanks of 91-93 octane gas: ~ $100

You may or may not want to figure in the price of tires but four 20 minute sessions a day for two days puts noticeable, clearly visible wear on your tires.

It is expensive. But here is a little perspective control (rationalizing):

NASA membership is $45. At my first event there was a free barbecue dinner/party. And you get Grassroots Motorsports magazine. Those two things were worth that $45.

Event fee: That's four 20 minute track sessions a day for two days. That's almost three hours of one-on-one instruction. Compare that to three hours of lessons with a golf, tennis or sporting clays coach/instructor. And that doesn't even include classroom time.

Brakes: at my level I'll get 3 or 4 events out of those pads.

Hotel: I spent a little extra because my wife and daughter came. It was worth it and they had fun. But a lot of people camp or stay in lower cost motels to save money there.

HPDE insurance: many people don't feel the need or don't drive cars that warrant it. It is a security blanket to me and I enjoy myself more knowing it is there.

I think my total one time event costs were probably around $700. If I do this four times a year the one time event costs would be $2800. Add brakes, tires and incidental costs and maybe you're at $4000 a year for doing HPDE.

Talk to golfers and hunters about their yearly hobby expenditures and this doesn't seem so bad.

Of course I'm sure this sky rockets for folks who TT and WTW, and go every month.

Edit: I left out the cost for a helmet. But, I borrowed one for my first event. I got a decent one for Christmas for less than $250.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

You can do DE for a lot less than 1000 per weekend. Weekend fee is usually about 280 to 450 per weekend. Bring a tent and grill and hang out around the campfire of those guys you eventually want to race with. I spend probably less than 200 over the entrance fee for a DE on gas and whatnot. It does depend on what your driving of course. Unless you have a newish import I would want to tow to the track. If not something is likely to brake and it could cost dearly to get home.

Rule 1 - Do not, under any circumstances, add up the costs associated with this hobby

Agreed, it makes a meth habit cheap in comparison.

But going to the track is 1000% more fun!!!!!

Agreed, it makes a meth habit cheap in comparison.

But going to the track is 1000% more fun!!!!!

How do you know that? And Jeremy Mayfield might beg to differ.