Has anyone built an AI car out of a 79-86 Capri?

lxcoupe

As far as I know, I haven't ever seen one. But its essentially a Fox body Mustang. So almost anything you can do to a mustang you can do to your car. As far as aero stuff, I don't know any places that make one specifically for your car. Most people opt to make some sort of their own.

Curious about front splitter/ aero stuff.

Check out Fulcrum Aero, they make some good custom stuff. They are out of Texas but a very helpful in providing instructions for install.

Yes I have and fabricated all items myself. 2 piece front nose from 5 star racing, custom splitter from .090 aluminum. air dam from uvhm plastics. Maier fenders.

Let me know if you want to see some photos I will send you some.

I do in-fact have Fulcrum Aero on my car (wing and splitter).

http://www.fulcrumaero.com/

They offer DIY splitter packages as well as "turn key". However, if they have never templated a particular car, there is no "kit" on the shelf. For high volume platforms, sponsorship packages have been made available in the past to allow the "first run" car to have the part custom built for their car to build the template for future production.

Give Jim and call and he'll work with him. Their shop is located about 2 miles from Texas Motor Speedway in the DFW metroplex.

One additional thing about the Fulcrum Splitters. They "float" below the car and will move vertically up to 2" to accomodate curbing, off-road excursions, etc. It's really nice to know your splitter is riding on the ground with your car bouncing on top which is reducing the tendency to "dig in" and rip off the front of your car.

Over the past 4 seasons, I've gone off a "couple" times and have not had any damage to the splitter other than worn wear plates and a few busted rivets that were easily replaced.

One additional thing about the Fulcrum Splitters. They "float" below the car and will move vertically up to 2" to accomodate curbing, off-road excursions, etc. It's really nice to know your splitter is riding on the ground with your car bouncing on top which is reducing the tendency to "dig in" and rip off the front of your car.

Over the past 4 seasons, I've gone off a "couple" times and have not had any damage to the splitter other than worn wear plates and a few busted rivets that were easily replaced.

I thought all aero devices had to be fixed for competition...Do splitters get a pass on this?

I thought all aero devices had to be fixed for competition...Do splitters get a pass on this?

Will,

I honestly have never thought about it that way... It's not driver adjustable and maybe that's the ultimate intent of the rule??? In this case, I can't see why it wouldn't be a good thing to allow. Not just because I have it on my car, but because it reduces damage caused by an off-track excursion. I "know" we aren't supposed to go off track, but stuff happens...

Will,

I honestly have never thought about it that way... It's not driver adjustable and maybe that's the ultimate intent of the rule??? In this case, I can't see why it wouldn't be a good thing to allow. Not just because I have it on my car, but because it reduces damage caused by an off-track excursion. I "know" we aren't supposed to go off track, but stuff happens...

While I would agree that it is not the intent of the rule (not driver adjustable), my interpretation was it must be fixed. I run my splitter pretty high (~4") because it is fixed to the chassis and it can't be any lower without hitting excessively. It could be lower and more effective if it "floated". I'm not trying to call you out or anything as I see it as a good thing. If this is an OK method of attachment, I would definitely make a change to get mine lower. Can we get an official ruling on this?

Will,

I will extract pictures of my car and send to all the directors tonight. It's never been questioned here in TX and several cars have this similar design.

While I would agree that it is not the intent of the rule (not driver adjustable), my interpretation was it must be fixed. I run my splitter pretty high (~4") because it is fixed to the chassis and it can't be any lower without hitting excessively. It could be lower and more effective if it "floated". I'm not trying to call you out or anything as I see it as a good thing. If this is an OK method of attachment, I would definitely make a change to get mine lower. Can we get an official ruling on this?

I'm with you Will, Aero must be fixed, not movable per the rule 7.4.10:

7.4.10 - Spoilers, wings and air dams must be fixed for competition. Front splitters, air dams or dive

planes shall not extend frontward or sideways more than 5” beyond the outline of the nose of the

car as viewed from above. Front wings and roof wings are not allowed. Rear wings or rear

spoilers installed on AI cars must not extend rearward more than 1.5 inches beyond the outline of the rear bumper and may not have an airfoil width not to include endplates or bolts greater than

72 inches.

7.4.11 All holes

I don't see how that is gray at all, it states fixed. Movable is not fixed. It seems like all the cars with this non-fixed Fulcrum stuff are illegal.....

the grey area would be that the rule does not say that splitters must be fixed. it says spoilers wings and air damns must be fixed. in the next sentence is mentions splitter limitions. that is what leaves the door open a crack for interpretation. if the rule meant to require splitters to be fixed it would have said that. the proof of that is that the splitter limitations were mentioned in the next sentence.

there's a crack there.

the grey area would be that the rule does not say that splitters must be fixed. it says spoilers wings and air damns must be fixed. in the next sentence is mentions splitter limitions. that is what leaves the door open a crack for interpretation. if the rule meant to require splitters to be fixed it would have said that. the proof of that is that the splitter limitations were mentioned in the next sentence.

there's a crack there.

If an air dam has to be fixed why wouldn't a splitter need to be fixed? That logic doesn't work. I think it was a miss....

there's a crack there.

If an air dam has to be fixed why wouldn't a splitter need to be fixed? That logic doesn't work. I think it was a miss....

i dont disagree. the logic and the specific wording of the rules dont match up, however. its like there was a bad edit in the rule writing.

there is nothing in the rule as written that ties an air dam to a splitter. the rules say an air dam must be fixed. the rules say a splitter may only extend so far out. the rule does not say that a splitter must be fixed nor does it say that an air dam and a splitter are under the same rule.

ive always been told that racing rules tell you that you must and you have to. racing rules tell you that you may not and you can not. if the rule does not say that you must, then you dont have to and if the rules dont say that you can not, you may. until otherwise told.

so....IMO until this rule is clarified to say that splitter must be fixed, it does not have to be fixed.

I don't think its an issue cause its fixed in a downward force. I don't know about other peoples designs, but I can stand on my splitter and bounce up and down on it, walk across it, what ever, and it doesn't go any lower than what I have it set at. But it is designed to give in and upward force, like if you hit some curbing, or have an off.

AJ,

Mine is exactly the same as yours..

Here is the pic of the car (5 years old) that I sent to the director's for review.

154229_1005091146930_1814430887_7680_1213797_n.jpg

You can see the slide plane on the back side which is "fixed" to the bumper cover. The front fairing slides up/down if you go off. It's much easier on the wear plates and less likely to rip off and cause issues for folks behind me..

^I like the way your car looks. I am running a white '90GT in TT and am getting ready to make a front splitter for my car. Do you have any up close pics or info you could send me, PM or email would be fine, on how you mounted it. I bought some Dibond to make it with and could use some help with mounting points.

• 8 months later...

I have a '81 Capri I'd like to build.Would a 2.3 turbo be competitive?

Don't want to waste my time/money if the engine is too much trouble.

More info:

Balanced,blueprinted,motorsport cam w/roller followers.

Extra turbos from XR4Ti

Stock 5spd trans.

Frame ties installed.

8.8 posi w/373 gears.

Brakes and suspension would need to be upgraded.

ALL comments and advice would be welcomed

Thanks in advance,

Hal Thornton

You can make a turbo 2.3 competetive. The bigger question is for how long? We took the engine attitude of over build and detune for reliability. We have Ford Racing Boss block 347's that make a little over 400 HP. A little more than that on torque. We restrict (timing and air) these down to the HP and Tq we need for each cars weight. The engine in our Fox just finished 2 complete seasons with no issues. I'm going to refresh it this winter just because the rear main is leaking pretty bad (all Ford rear mains leak some) and I'm tired of the oil streams in the trailer and shop.

Others have tried the turbo route (someone on here tried to make that setup work in a Thunderbird SC and finally gave up and has it for sale or sold it). It sounds like it is a challenge to get the power to a raceable level. (Not just hitting a number, but making the power band what you need to race and be competitive)

If you have unlimited resources and skill, go for it. I think it would be cool to see run. If you are looking for cheap, reliable and easy, it's hard to beat V8 power.

j

• 4 weeks later...

Hal, I'd love to see your turbo 2.3 AI car, but it just isn't going to work on any kind of a budget. I've raced two 2.3 Turbo Coupes and put an SVO together a while ago.

1. At the weight you could run, you could probably be competitive with 325hp. That said, getting 325 reliable horsepower from the turbo 2.3 isn't really possible. Not on any kind of budget. You'll spend more doing that than building a V-8, and you'll have less torque at a higher rpm and the power will be peaky.

2. Even if you're going to try, a Merkur turbo isn't going to make the power. You'll need a T3/T4 hybrid turbo. Pay attention to the AR numbers on the turbo, outlet sizes, muffler sizes, etc. Just turning up the boost on a stock T3 will result in a lot of PSI but low volume due to superheated air. Not good.

I'm cheering for you, but I just don't think it is a good idea.

-Scott