HPDE LAST

Draagon Slayer

Why is HPDE the least important? This must be the case as they are usually the last on the track. I have never seen a race as the last event. It would be good to have a race as the last event. Then when they crash and cause a delay they won’t take time from the other groups.

Timing, scoring, impound, etc. all take time. HPDE is definitely not the least important. Query the racers/TTers and see how many started in HPDE.

Most racers bring a lot more stuff to the track then the average HPDEer. It takes time to load all that stuff up to head home. Plus, I get a bit more tired racing than I used to driving HPDE. It's nice to be able to load up, head out and get home at a semi-reasonable time on Sunday night.

Has nothing to do with what's "more important".

The racers are also the first on track in the mornings. Not the ideal track time in the Spring or Fall. This buys HPDE time, for the track and air temp to warm up for better track conditions.

In HPDE 1-2 you do not want to be the first group on track. Track is cold, slick and you need time to get your first class session. Late afternoon sessions are also good as you get way less traffic in your group because 20-30% of HPDE 1-2 leave early. Less crowed also helps while you are moving up to the next level. HPDE is very important to NASA! TT and Race groups work their track time around the HPDE program.....

There would be no TT or race groups to work your way up to without HPDE levels to get you there. They are literally the foundation of our entire program. Ergo, this is 100% correct:

HPDE is very important to NASA! TT and Race groups work their track time around the HPDE program.....

That said, with only so much time in an event day for additional race group tasks after a checkered flag... this is a huge part of it, to get everyone on the road home at a reasonable hour:

Timing, scoring, impound, etc. all take time.

I don't mind going last on Sunday. That session is usually longer than the others and even with DE 1 and 2 on the track it isn't that bad since some folks will have already gone home.