Slight rules change is needed

racerbob4

Nissan/BF Goodrich and NASA would be wise to make a couple of minor changes to the rules regarding wheels. We used to run a 2007 350Z in Touring 2 with 9" x 18" Enkei RPF1's on the front and 10" x 18" on the rear. That is the specificed size for that class. The RPF1 wheels is a one piece wheel and the 9" weights just 17.10 #'s and the 10" is 18.45 #'s. Bringing the minimum weight down to 17#'s would make converting a T2 car, or T3 car for that matter, over to NASA specs a lot cheaper and would encourage more participation by guys who already have cars built and ready to race except for the change-over in the suspension package. In 10 years of using Enkei wheels we have never had a failure and the RPF1 wheels looks great.

A lot of guys in SCCA T2 are using whose wheels and at a cost of just over $1000 a set it would be nice to be able to use the same wheels and not have to purchase more wheels. My son and I have helped most of the T2 guys get a good price on those wheels and we can help the Spec Z guys as well.

Also the wheel spacer we use on front and rear is 20mm and that rule should also be adjusted. This will allow the RPF1 wheels clearance over the Brembo brakes on the front. The rear is not a problem.

The above suggested changes are not a big deal to the series but will encourage more racers to bring their cars over to the series.

Nissan/BF Goodrich and NASA would be wise to make a couple of minor changes to the rules regarding wheels. We used to run a 2007 350Z in Touring 2 with 9" x 18" Enkei RPF1's on the front and 10" x 18" on the rear. That is the specificed size for that class. The RPF1 wheels is a one piece wheel and the 9" weights just 17.10 #'s and the 10" is 18.45 #'s. Bringing the minimum weight down to 17#'s would make converting a T2 car, or T3 car for that matter, over to NASA specs a lot cheaper and would encourage more participation by guys who already have cars built and ready to race except for the change-over in the suspension package. In 10 years of using Enkei wheels we have never had a failure and the RPF1 wheels looks great.

A lot of guys in SCCA T2 are using whose wheels and at a cost of just over $1000 a set it would be nice to be able to use the same wheels and not have to purchase more wheels. My son and I have helped most of the T2 guys get a good price on those wheels and we can help the Spec Z guys as well.

Also the wheel spacer we use on front and rear is 20mm and that rule should also be adjusted. This will allow the RPF1 wheels clearance over the Brembo brakes on the front. The rear is not a problem.

The above suggested changes are not a big deal to the series but will encourage more racers to bring their cars over to the series.

I disagree, we should have a set of rules that makes sence in the long term and not some rules that allow people to convert, that makes no sence.

this is a new class after all. I do think they should have a spec set of wheels, as of now I was told the brans of wheel in not spec

and allow 18x9 OR 18x10 wheels on any position on the car...since we will use the same size tire all around, why not a "square" wheel package as well?

And I support the minor change in wheels weights!!!! or just drop the weight rule completely!!!

Can't drop the weight rule, some idiot with loads of cash will show up with 12lbs custom wheels. Modify yes, drop no.

Should also include all stock z wheels as well. Cheaper for the rain set...

Can't drop the weight rule, some idiot with loads of cash will show up with 12lbs custom wheels. Modify yes, drop no.

I was thinking the same thing, but I am all for lowering the weight to allow RPF-1s at least. Those are very popular.

Then again, I honestly don't care if they dropped the wheel weight all together. It is possible someone with loads of cash will show up with some super lightweight magnesium wheels, but highly unlikely.

Like Bob said,

It will be easier for SCCA guys to come over, too. That had to have been a big part of the rule making. I know I most certainly don't want to have to buy all new wheels either. The spec parts are enough as it is. I have all RPF-1s...18x9.5. If they make 10" or 10.5" max on all four corners and lower the wheel weight, you're going to save a lot of people headache and money. I think that would help bring in some more people. Especially those who already have 3 sets of wheels and may have to sell all of them if this rule doesn't change.

I need some advice from some seasoned drivers. I want to run in the Spec Z class next year, however, I am currently in HPDE 2. I would appreciate some advise about tires and wheels. I have a 2008 350Z Nismo. It comes stock with Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tires 245/40WR18 front, 265/35WR19 rear and NISMO-branded RAYS alloy staggered rims (18x9-inch front and 19x10-inch rear). Is it better to have the same size tire all around like the Specs? Is the front wheel well clearance on a stock Z sufficient for a 275mm wide tire? I want to buy some decent track tires, but now in a quandry about what to do. Before the announcement of the Spec Z Class I was leaning toward buying Hankook Ventus Z214. However, my Nismo is also my daily driver AND I do not have a trailer to haul it to the track so I really need some better all around tires to drive and race on until I can afford a trailer to haul an extra set of race tires to the track.

How long do race tires like the Hankook Ventus Z214 and BF Goodrich R1's last? Since I am still a novice, will I really notice a big difference for the extra cost? Maybe I should buy the Spec Z all weather BF Goodrich g-Force KDW tire to drive and race for now for $100 less per tire. The other issue is that if I go with Spec Z tires, I will also have to purchase two new sets of rims since I won't be able to use my Rays anymore, or at least not the 19X10's. I do like the Enkei RPF1 mentioned previously and Vivid Racing lists the the 18X9 at 18.4lbs (0.1lbs too light for rules - will that really matter?) and the 18X10 at 19.1lbs. The best price I can find on the web is $1500. Any advice?

I need some advice from some seasoned drivers. I want to run in the Spec Z class next year, however, I am currently in HPDE 2. I would appreciate some advise about tires and wheels. I have a 2008 350Z Nismo. It comes stock with Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tires 245/40WR18 front, 265/35WR19 rear and NISMO-branded RAYS alloy staggered rims (18x9-inch front and 19x10-inch rear). Is it better to have the same size tire all around like the Specs? Is the front wheel well clearance on a stock Z sufficient for a 275mm wide tire? I want to buy some decent track tires, but now in a quandry about what to do. Before the announcement of the Spec Z Class I was leaning toward buying Hankook Ventus Z214. However, my Nismo is also my daily driver AND I do not have a trailer to haul it to the track so I really need some better all around tires to drive and race on until I can afford a trailer to haul an extra set of race tires to the track.

How long do race tires like the Hankook Ventus Z214 and BF Goodrich R1's last? Since I am still a novice, will I really notice a big difference for the extra cost? Maybe I should buy the Spec Z all weather BF Goodrich g-Force KDW tire to drive and race for now for $100 less per tire. The other issue is that if I go with Spec Z tires, I will also have to purchase two new sets of rims since I won't be able to use my Rays anymore, or at least not the 19X10's. I do like the Enkei RPF1 mentioned previously and Vivid Racing lists the the 18X9 at 18.4lbs (0.1lbs too light for rules - will that really matter?) and the 18X10 at 19.1lbs. The best price I can find on the web is $1500. Any advice?

My suggestion in terms of wheels since you are still going through HPDE is to stick with your OEM wheels until you're finished with the whole HPDE process. It will save you some money to spend on quality street/track tires. Speaking of tires, I suggest you check the reviews on the following (available via Tirerack all around $1200 +/- $100) and choose a set that best fits your need:

Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position

Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08

Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Bridgestone Potenza RE-11

Continental ContiSportContact 2

Pirelli PZero

You'll learn more as an early driver on street tires, so I suggest not jumping into the spec-Z race tire until you're really close to actually racing it. I am kind of in the same boat and this is at least my plan. I will get as far as I can through HPDE with street tires until I feel like they are fully limiting my progression or I have just gotten to a point when I am out driving them. I've also heard the BFG KDW2 is actually pretty good when shaved to 3/32-5/32 depths (in stock depth they can be a little unstable), but that is just another expense on top of the purchase and the other tires listed should be a vast improvement over the KDW2.

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed, though I wouldn't be excited about putting the spec 275 tires on a set of 8/8.5" wheels. I see no good solution here (for cheap). I'll probably run 18x9s all around with the rain tire.

Bring it own...

Vitaminz ask how long will race tires last.........If you are going to run the SpecZ series and expect to be competitive you will need a new set of tires for every race. Goodyear, Hoosier, Hancook, BG Goodrich are all at their very best the first time they are used. They will never be faster. There are procedures that we have used for years to get the best out of our tires but I won't tell you as that is our speed secret. If you want to win you will need to have a new set of tires for every race, thats just the way it is.

Vitaminz ask how long will race tires last.........If you are going to run the SpecZ series and expect to be competitive you will need a new set of tires for every race. Goodyear, Hoosier, Hancook, BG Goodrich are all at their very best the first time they are used. They will never be faster. There are procedures that we have used for years to get the best out of our tires but I won't tell you as that is our speed secret. If you want to win you will need to have a new set of tires for every race, thats just the way it is.

Wait, I'm on the other coast than you! BFG R1 secret via email, please!

Would you have sticker tires just for the 20/30 minute race, not even scrubbed in? I am going to get some mileage out of my first set of R1s while I sort out the car; I'm sure attendance will be mild anyway for the first few months. My plan was to do a session or two on the new tires in an HPDE to get a feel for them. Then do the practice and qual on them, followed by the race (two days worth). I guess I'm talking about using the same tires for 8 sessions. Maybe I'll flip them between the two race days, or at least before the first race (when they will have 4 sessions on them).

• 2 months later...

I agree 100% with dropping the weight restriction to allow the RPF1. It is the wheel I was hoping to run....

They are a great bang for your buck wheel and that is a big part of why people join spec classes, to race on a budget. Allowing this quality, cost effective part would be good for the seres in my opinion.

It seems like a lot of people want this.....why not allow it?

I agree 100% with dropping the weight restriction to allow the RPF1. It is the wheel I was hoping to run....

They are a great bang for your buck wheel and that is a big part of why people join spec classes, to race on a budget. Allowing this quality, cost effective part would be good for the seres in my opinion.

It seems like a lot of people want this.....why not allow it?

Nevermind!!!!!! Just saw this!!!!!!

b) No wheel permitted for competition use can weigh less than eighteen point five (18.50) pounds

with the exception of the Enkei RPF1 being specifically permitted for competition use.

Made my day. The RPF1 is my favorite wheel. Good going Nasa!