What class for corvette

MIAMIMAN

About ready to pull the trigger on a 1990 corvette c-4 wondering what class that car would run in , it is stock but has a german made zf 6 speed trans that isn't gm, I did a search I guess it was an upgrade that was available back then will that be a problem? Any other ideas or comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the quick info, not sure what kind of option that trans was back then, do you guys think that is a decent choice for a car to run. love vettes actually just got rid of an 08 for a new ss camaro, appreciate any more info or suggestions.

It would be great for HPDE and can certainly also be run in TT or PT_ roadracing with whatever level of modification you desire.

That said, the C5 cars seem to do better in their respective competition classes from what I've seen. But perhaps only because we don't see as many C4 cars these days, and/or because we see a bunch of very well classed/prepped C5's?

Thanks for the quick info, not sure what kind of option that trans was back then, do you guys think that is a decent choice for a car to run. love vettes actually just got rid of an 08 for a new ss camaro, appreciate any more info or suggestions.

The 6 spd ZF was the STOCK manual transmission for all C4 Corvettes.

I can help with whether an option will cost you points or not. In the console on the hinged cover there is a label with all the RPO codes. This will tell you what production parts came on the car.

Let me look real quick at the TT rules - your 1990 starts as TTD**, bad news is your gonna take points for tire width because the base class has skiny tires 245 is the base class tire width. You might be able to get away with running 245 on all four wheels, probably will need new rims though.

Race wt is 3225 so you can remove some parts with the free mods and still make weight unless you weigh under 100 lbs

just got rid of an 08 for a new ss camaro

do you guys think that is a decent choice for a car to run.

You are going to be greatly disappointed.

Yea, 218 rwhp and 3400lbs is gonna be bad, but maybe he has an fe1 suspension and can slip in TTC.

If the car counts aren't there a bit of work will make it a capeable TTB car.

Mine just needs some front camber and a better driver to be compettitive in TTA.

Appreciate all the info, I can see I have a lot to learn but you have to start somewhere, I have a 93 vette available also which is 300 hp do you guys think that is a better way to go? The thing is with the 90 vette Im trading the guy a harley for it so no money is being lost up front.

The 93 starts in TTC* which is a 255 base tire saves a couple of points.

Its up to you, the opti spark ignition is interesting to work with.

Whats the mileage on the two vehicles?

The 93 has the same suspension geometry, and probably looking at 260ish rwhp.

Both cars will need work depending on the options and age.

Decent mileage on both. Now lets get down to serious business:

You need to get a list of the RPO codes for both cars. They are on a sticker inside the center console.

Post them.

Will the car you get be a daily driver & track toy, or just a track toy?

How good are you at following directions, taking things apart and putting them back together?

After you purchase one of the cars how much money do you have available for repairs and refurbishment?

Have you driven them?

Does it slide into 2nd gear like buttah?

Sounds like you are in Florida - contact the regional TT director and ask them what the typical car counts are in TTA, TTB, and TTC. In the Southeast depending on your budget any of these classes have car counts at most events with TTA being the largest - but its expensive to get there.

Good stuff jimbow thanks, both of these cars are out of my area so I have not driven them yet not that easy to find a manual vette. This car will be a track toy I have a 15yr old and a 19 yr old that will be part of the building process. I am a mech. contractor so I have a shop, can weld and have a decent amount of tools, not an experienced auto mech but can learn and we look forward to this process. I can afford to put money into car, don't want to be stupid about it but realize that its not cheap. We have to go thru the hpde steps and expect to slowly transform whatever car I get into a track car. One thing I don't get is if all cars have to adhere to h.p. / weight ratios why do I get the feeling that these year vettes won't be competive. Before I buy either car I will get the rpo codes and post. thanks for the help.

Yea, an email to the current owners should get you a copy of the the RPO codes.

The RPO codes will tell the tale of which one I would reccomend. For example my 92 came from the factory with the 6spd and RPO Z07, Z07 has the more desireable springs, sway bars, steering rack. The shocks included are a problem because the adjustability is controlled in the cockpit. I got rebuilt shocks and left the controllers disconnected at the shock.

The 90 with some tweaks and maybe a basic rebuild (would bring HP up)would be competitive in TTB with a good driver. Uses a standard distributor.

The 93 with a basic or 383 rebuild and suspension tweaks would be compettitive in TTA and TTS with a good driver. The 93 distributor is an enigma, there are one or two good replacements. However its tricky to get installed. Not hard, you will hear lots of folks lament about the opti spark. Ignore them.

Both are computer cars that can be tuned with a piggyback ROM inside the computer wich is a zero point mod.

Sounds like the only thing you will need is a factory service manual for the year you purchase. At $100 it will be the most used tool in your tool box!

I can afford to put money into the car, don't want to be stupid about it but realize that its not cheap.

If that's the case, you should seriously think about ditching the whole C4 thing and buy an inexpensive higher mileage C5. You will thank yourself later. Trust me - you will thank yourself later.

One thing I don't get is if all cars have to adhere to h.p. / weight ratios why do I get the feeling that these year vettes won't be competive.
Because odds are that they won't be. C4's are old school technology that are prone to failure and limited modifications.

So both c4 and c5 are in the same class ? with a c5 having 100 more h.p. and only 200 more pounds stock, I'm starting to see that logic, I started looking, probably going to switch to a LS-1 camaro should be able to find one around what I was going to get the older vette for.

I am going into this with the hopes of eventually running wheel to wheel, looks like a LS-1 camaro would be a better choice, if I can find a c5 vette great but price will be a factor

Good question, I would say 15,000 to 20,000 for trailer, car and necessary safety and performance upgrades, as far as racing budget after that no idea, probably more than I realize, but I know its not cheap. It's going to be a process.

you need to ping "jason" on this forum and work a deal on his trailer, car (C5Z06) and spares package probably in your budget range. if your screen name is your location, he's coming your way

C5 > C4 all day and three times on sunday. they C5 was a lightyears leap in technology in terms of platform over the C4.

I'll second the PM Jason and talk to him about his setup.

Its been a long road and I have a long way to go on my C4.

4 years ago if I had $15 - $20K I would have bought a C5

My C4 was cheap to purchase, because of my budget each year it gets a couple of upgrades.

Working on the third motor

Chassis and saftey needs addressed. And I'm still just doing time trials.

I'm probably two years out from having it up to w2w snuff.