Auto racing's future?

Z06

With emission and mpg requirements becoming stricter, what's the future hold for auto racing? How are more complicated vehicles going change this sport? Will we scramble for older cars in the coming years because of their simplicity or embrace technology as it happens? How well will a hybrid hold up to open track events? If hybrids are all manufacturers are allowed to offer, will we actually race them? What's the point in racing a hybrid?

Simple easy good performing vehicles make the most popular track cars. Miatas come to mind.

I could see myself actually racing a full electric car if battery technology allows for it. Maybe changing out battery packs when depleted. Having batteries that last all day in a race application. Lightweight batteries if ever possible. Etc.

I got to thinking about this topic when reading about the new M3. Replacing a n/a V8 for complicated tri turbo 6 cyclinder. Sounds complicated and a maintenance nightmare.

Maybe more manufacturers will offer track only off road simple cars for the enthusiast.

people used to think things like electronic fuel injection was too complex to use on a race car so they'd rip it all out and slap on a good ol' carb.

As tech improves, so will the tech in race cars.

Racing hybrids makes as much sense as racing regular cars. There are tons of race cars out there if production cars become to complex and costly to race.

And I had my eye on a Toyota Yarus or whatever that ugly thing is called.

I think the future of racing will be in electric cars. Performance is not the issue since electric motors should be able to outperform internal combustion engines in all areas. The issue is delivery of power to the electric motor..........and that will come in the form of a slot in the track.......

As tech improves, so will the tech in race cars.

And actually in many cases, the tech/safety/performance of many manufacturer-backed race cars filters down to the regular cars so, in some cases, it's actually the other way around. The tech of the race car makes its way to the road car.

Aftermarket tech always seems to rise to the occasion, but as cars get more complicated we all know they tend fail quicker on track. Or the cost and headache associated with prepping a car for track duty escalates. It seems the trend today is forced induction, which is neat for making insane power but making it live lap after lap is a different story.

Electric cars with better battery technology is the ticket. Better looking battery cars before I even think of buying one. I do think the Volt is a really good looking car at all angles. Miles ahead in looks compared to any enviro nazi poster child "I'm gonna save the planet and look like a freak doing it" car out there.