Oil weight

Resaca Rattlesnake

Is there a particular oil weight that is better for track use? I have been using Mobil1 0-40w since my challenger srt8 recomended it. With my mustang i switched to royal purple at last track event with same 0-40W. During 2day event i had to add 2 1/2 quarts. Someone suggested it was the weight of the oil that caused the use? Or is this normal? Or is it just the car. Dont remember adding so much with the dodge. Thanks for input

I know that Royal purple has 10-40W and 20-50W viscosities, but I didn't know about the 0-40W. You might want to try the Royal Purple 20-50W, and see how that works. Just be careful to get the oil warm to hot before going full throttle on track or on the street though. I know that manufacturers have been using say 5-30 oil for a while to help improve fuel economy, but I've also heard that newer engines have tighter tolerances, so that is maybe why they're using the 0-40W oil as the stock oil. I really don't know if Royal Purple 20-50W oil would cause any issues for you as it will be thicker when cold than the 0-40W oil. Hopefully a few others will reply.

Also, what year and engine does the Mustang have? If you don't get more replies in this forum, then you might want to search or ask in the CMC or American Iron forums down in the Pro Racing section. - Jim

• 7 months later...

When it comes to oil weights I have always been a fan of running the factory recommended viscosity. However if you are running a "built" race engine run what is recommended by the builder. Race engines are sometimes built to the loose side of bearing tolerance to reduce drag/friction. A heavier viscosity like 20w-50 takes up the additional space. If you run a heavier grade than recommended it could strain the pump causing poor throttle response and fall. If you run a lower grade you aren't giving yourself enough protection.