Chumpcars in NASA ???

Evilwheel

Hello, currently I'm with a great team in the Chumpcar series and was wondering if any cars from this series has come over and tried racing with NASA ? This is something we are considering in the future, just have no idea what class the car would fit in or if even be legal. And are any of you currently racing in Chump also ? My first post so I'll start small. Thanks

There is literally a class for every car on earth. It would help if you told us what you are thinking of running. Also, pull a copy of the CCR and read up on the safety stuff. My guess is there are some things required by NASA that may not be by Chump.

If it meets section 15 of the ccr it can be raced with NASA.

Our front running/winning E3 endurance car started its life as a chumpcar. Many of our good drivers started in crapcans.

It's a 91 Mistubishi 3000GT, pretty much all stock, changed the rear sway bar to aftermarket. All safety stuff for Chump, but I need to read the NASA rules.

Your best bet is probably the Performance Touring series - you can do any modification out there just about, but each modification is assigned a certain number of points. Add up your points, plus what your car starts with, and there's your class

And to echo what Dave said, many of our good drivers go race crapcans on open weekends in their local NASA regions schedule as well

• 1 month later...

I'm currently transforming our old Lemons/Chumpcar racer into a PT race car. Having to de-LeMon-ize the car by putting a stock hood back on without all the lights and gauges, taking off the decklid that has jackstands welded to it with the wing on top, and taking the BMW grill out of the Nissan. SHould be a fairly easy transformation since all the safety stuff is already done. Worst part is that Chumpcar required all the glass (except windshield) to be out of the car so i'm having to put that stuff back in.

• 9 months later...

Yeah we were thinking about running both Chump Car and NASA. Originally we thought about doing it with a Honda Challenge CRX, but there's just no way to have a competitive HC car that ALSO qualifies for Chump Car (except maybe as EC). Unless you could prove a $0 value or something.

I guess PT is the way to go if you want to do both.

The reality is that Chump Car is a cheap way to get a lot of seat time and really learn a track in a day. That track time can be very valuable in the NASA race on the same track.

I'm currently transforming our old Lemons/Chumpcar racer into a PT race car. Having to de-LeMon-ize the car by putting a stock hood back on without all the lights and gauges, taking off the decklid that has jackstands welded to it with the wing on top, and taking the BMW grill out of the Nissan. SHould be a fairly easy transformation since all the safety stuff is already done. Worst part is that Chumpcar required all the glass (except windshield) to be out of the car so i'm having to put that stuff back in.

You forgot to mention the removal of the stickers or paint on the side of the car from your fuel sponsor "peniston oil".