Inner Fender Well is not the plastic fender liner

Greg G.

• National Staff

Guys and Gals,

I just wanted to clarify that the "Inner Fender Well" referred to in the ST Rules is not the plastic liner. It is the inner or inboard side of the fender well (which is a metal structure on most cars). Widebody, aftermarket, flared, and rolled fenders are all legal, and will require the removal of the OEM plastic liner in most cases. Most race cars have torn up plastic liners at best due to rocks and marbles. You do not need to fix holes in them, purchase new ones, etc. Although as Ken showed on a photo on the Corvette Forums, you might want to, or you may find that you are carrying an extra 5-10 lbs of rocks and rubber by the end of a race.

The inner fender well rule refers to modifying, cutting, removing, moving the inner (inboard) fender well so that wheels and tires that cannot otherwise fit on that car model (under the car) are able to. This modification generally requires modification of the floor on the rear of most vehicles, and of the strut tower of FWD and other strut vehicles, both of which have never been permitted under any version of the ST Rules.

• 3 weeks later...

Greg,

If I cut large holes in my inner fender wells to allow for venting purposes through either the hood or some other means of venting through the body, but not for the purpose of allowing wider tires, would that be legal for ST?

Seems pretty clear to me that the rule is specifically trying to keep folks from hacking up the inner part of the fender to allow for a wider tire/wheel. Cutting vent only holes wouldn't have anything to do with that so it should be legal.

But that's just my interpretation.

Seems pretty clear to me that the rule is specifically trying to keep folks from hacking up the inner part of the fender to allow for a wider tire/wheel. Cutting vent only holes wouldn't have anything to do with that so it should be legal.

But that's just my interpretation.

That was my understanding of the rule as well. I would consider those holes for aero modifications.

It would be good to have an interpretation form Greg so that no one gets caught out.

I am indifferent, but want definite clear direction.

• National Staff

Guys,

I'm getting a Technical Bulletin approved regarding the fender wells so we can just add the wording to the next revision of the rules in 2013. Aero and vent holes in the plastic liners as well as in the top/front/rear of the fender wells should be legal. As well, I would like to make sure that holes in the inner/inboard fender well are permitted to pass external shock reservoirs and brake ducts. So, keep an eye out for that TB.

• 4 weeks later...