roll cage tubing size

esr

Can someone clirify the size of the tubing, seems to me that the rules state that cars over 3000lbs need to run 2 inch tubing.

Talking to the local builders they tell me that 1 3/4 is all you need.

Anyone knows for sure.

Thanks

Can someone clirify the size of the tubing, seems to me that the rules state that cars over 3000lbs need to run 2 inch tubing.

Anyone knows for sure.

Thanks

Better read the CCR again- it clearly states for cars weighing between 3,001-4000 pounds, 1.75 X 0.120 wall 4130, seamless alloy or DOM is required. ERW is NOT allowed (p. 61).

thanks

Anyone knows for sure.

Thanks

Better read the CCR again- it clearly states for cars weighing between 3,001-4000 pounds, 1.75 X 0.120 wall 4130, seamless alloy or DOM is required. ERW is NOT allowed (p. 61).

• 1 month later...

Anyone knows for sure.

Thanks

Actually, according to section 15.6.18 of the 2012.2 CCR, it says:

For the purposes of determining roll bar tubing sizes, vehicle weight is as raced, but without fuel and driver.

2501-3000lbs

1.500" x 0.120" Seamless alloy (4130), Seamless mild steel....

1.750" x 0.095" Seamless alloy (4130), Seamless mild steel....

3001-4000lbs

1.750" x 0.120" Seamless alloy (4130), Seamless mild steel....

I just read that Palmettogasman's car came in at 3040# with a 185# driver...which means his car alone weighs 2855#. So if I'm understanding this correctly his cage would be legal if it was constructed with 1.500" x 0.120" 4130.

So for those who have built cages already, what tubing size did you use, and do you have pictures to share?

I just had mine done over the winter with the 1.75x.095 tubing. I noticed that in the rules. My car without fuel and driver is about 2850lbs.

333321d1331860969-sound-deadening-removal-weight-reduction-cage-prep-sany0007.jpg

333322d1331860969-sound-deadening-removal-weight-reduction-cage-prep-sany0008.jpg

333323d1331860969-sound-deadening-removal-weight-reduction-cage-prep-sany0009.jpg

Went with 1.75x.120 for extra safety for my build!

Hi Jeremy!

When do you plan to debut your build at an event?

All - how many feet of tubing do you estimate are used to build the cage? 40-50?

• National Staff
Went with 1.75x.120 for extra safety for my build!

Hi Jeremy!

When do you plan to debut your build at an event?

All - how many feet of tubing do you estimate are used to build the cage? 40-50?

Shooting for end of this month! (Fingers crossed).

I think we ordered 80' of tubing, but that was going to be more than enough!

• 2 months later...

Cage looks good but it looks like the lower bar and upper support bar would be in the way of a quick exit. Ill get some pictures of the cages that hanksville hotrods did for our 350 i anyone is interested in seeing how its all tucked in. Good to see some spec build pics. Thanks guys and gals.

Cage looks good but it looks like the lower bar and upper support bar would be in the way of a quick exit. Ill get some pictures of the cages that hanksville hotrods did for our 350 i anyone is interested in seeing how its all tucked in. Good to see some spec build pics. Thanks guys and gals.

Yes, I would be interested in seeing that... getting a cage built very soon.

Thanks.

I'm assuming you're refferring to the A pillar support which may appear that way in some pics because of the angle, but in reality barely takes anything away from the window opening.

P1020263w.jpg

Cheers,

Moti