Seat Mount reinforcement (floorboard) in a C6 Vette

jerrytx

You can see in the pics in this thread the minimal reinforcement for the seat bolts in the floorboard of a Vette:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/autocrossing-and-roadracing/3025649-seat-stud-removal.html

After having spent 3 days in the garage to create plates to bolt an FIA seat to I'm totally unimpressed and in fact a little scared at what holds by butt in the car. Those seat studs are tied to thin piece of steel that runs to the trans tunnel and outer sill. Later in the thread you can see how some have added 1/8" steel in the channel. I want to put a 1/8" steel box across both seat tracks and tie them together front and rear along the sill/trans tunnel. Would that be considered legal in ST2?

Jerry

Yes, that is a great option, thank you! Seems like it might be easier from under the car still no? Very nice setup, a few questions for you:

1. Are the front and rear tied together by a plate along the trans tunnel? I can't quite tell from the pic?

2. What did you replace the seat studs with, grade 8 hardware? They look gun drilled? Any changes on the bottom to hold the bolt in beyond what you did on the top side?

3. What is the electrical connector mounted to your seat base for?

4. I'm assuming your harnesses mount to the aluminum plates that also hold the seat right?

Yes, that is a great option, thank you! Seems like it might be easier from under the car still no? Very nice setup, a few questions for you:

1. Are the front and rear tied together by a plate along the trans tunnel? I can't quite tell from the pic?

2. What did you replace the seat studs with, grade 8 hardware? They look gun drilled? Any changes on the bottom to hold the bolt in beyond what you did on the top side?

3. What is the electrical connector mounted to your seat base for?

4. I'm assuming your harnesses mount to the aluminum plates that also hold the seat right?

1. The square tubing is welded to a reinforcement plate on the trans tunnel and the door bar plate for the cage on the outboard side.

2. Seat stud extenders from Hardbar - high grade aviation stuff (whatever that is). There's nothing else under the car, but the load is now spread to the plates on the square tubing and the factory studs as well.

e58108ee.jpg

ec623626.jpg

3. That pic is of the pass side. What you see is the Yaw sensor for the C5.

4. Yes. The belts mount to the Hardbar rails

http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=45

I can't take credit for the design. Our incredibly talented cage builder "BJ" at Genesis One Automotive came up with it.

It uses Hardbar seat rails with plates that mount on top of the seat stud extenders that are included with the rails. It's an amazingly simple and smart way to do a seat install in a late model Corvette.

0405d570.jpg

eb43b103.jpg

This particular car belongs to a friend - mine is a bit different. Here's mine:

seatmount3.jpg

seatmount2.jpg

seatmount1.jpg

That last setup is STOUT! The driver must be shorter though right? I don't see being able to add sliders (to get in/out of the car) and still use that with my Sparco FIA seat? The lack of adjustment is a deal killer for me. On your setup I thought about it more and I still feel it does not work for me for two reasons:

1. I don't think the sliders will work and clear square cross bars you added. I need the sliders to get in/out of the car with the door bars. I'm 6' and with helmet and the Sparco ADV seat and sliders, I have manipulated the brackets as much as possible to get it on the floor and as it is, my head is close to the roof and will brush it in bumps I'm pretty sure. Raising the setup to clear those bars is a no-go.

2. Some of those plates (if not all, pictures are dark so I couldn't tell) are just flat ears attached to the square cross bar. They are not attached/welded on 2 sides in the horizontal plane, nor do they have gussets to help secure them in the vertical plane. Adding that would again probably not allow seat sliders or would require raising the sliders and thus raising the seat.

Trust me if I'm only allowed inside the cockpit mods I'll closely model yours but I really think this should be something allowed on the bottom of the car rather than inside.

Good thread... I've often thought about beefing my seat mount up. Still using the stock studs with Hardbar rails, but have a seat back brace tied into my cage for added support and stability.

Good thread... I've often thought about beefing my seat mount up. Still using the stock studs with Hardbar rails, but have a seat back brace tied into my cage for added support and stability.

Hardbar rails on stock studs is a proven design - just ask Chris Ingle.

Hardbar rails on stock studs is a proven design - just ask Chris Ingle.

What happened? Link? I'm assuming they ripped out on his latest crash at RA?

What happened? Link? I'm assuming they ripped out on his latest crash at RA?

Nope they worked perfectly.

What is the backstory? Got any pics?

Forget the sliders, get a detachable steering wheel.

Already got that. To clear the window net buckle with my shoulder, door bars, and deep seat with side restraints, and get out of the car in 10 seconds with my HANs, I have to have the slider and removable wheel.

might be worth looking at a different H&N restraint setup depending on how it's getting caught on stuff. And if it's one with good lateral test scores you may also not need as big a side wing on the seat to achieve the same level of results. My $0.02.

might be worth looking at a different H&N restraint setup depending on how it's getting caught on stuff. And if it's one with good lateral test scores you may also not need as big a side wing on the seat to achieve the same level of results. My $0.02.

I agree Ken, but I'm also out $700 for a new HANS and $950 for a new Sparco seat. I can get out in the prescribed time but not likely without the slider. I am glad that Chris's accident didn't have worse results. I still am not excited about the 3 tack welds holding the seat studs and the metal structure the stud is held to, it just doesn't seem adequate for God forbid a worse crash that included rolls and more twisting. I've emailed Greg a link to this and a request for a review of my proposed changes.