Mods, Mods, Mods

GAC

I'm curious about a whole slew of mods that don't seem to be accounted for, but which could be construed as having performance benefits. Who's the contact person that I call when I have such questions? I'm in SoCal. Below are some examples:

Larger radiator

Stainless brake lines

Slotted/cryo treated rotos

Lower control arm brace

Solid motor mounts

Additional timing advance

Email Greg Greenbaum. He is the Socal Director for Time Trials.

BTW... You left out race gas, oil cooler, water wetter, etc., etc.

Regards,

John

Email Greg Greenbaum. He is the Socal Director for Time Trials.

BTW... You left out race gas, oil cooler, water wetter, etc., etc.

Regards,

John

Thanks, John. I shall try that. And yes, there are many others...as I said, only examples.

• National Staff
I'm curious about a whole slew of mods that don't seem to be accounted for, but which could be construed as having performance benefits. Who's the contact person that I call when I have such questions? I'm in SoCal. Below are some examples:

Larger radiator Allowed

Stainless brake lines Allowed

Slotted/cryo treated rotos Allowed

Lower control arm brace Points assessed for Control arms (at least)

Solid motor mounts Allowed

Additional timing advance Good Question--most newer cars take this hit as chip/reflash of ECU. We probably need to address this one in the rules for 2006 for the older cars. A good faith assessment would be the same as the points for a chip or reflash.

BTW... You left out

race gas Allowed--only gives the advantage of allowing for other engine mods like advanced timing, boost controler, chip reflash etc. (that should take points)--does nothing by itself for a stock car

oil cooler Allowed

Water wetter Allowed

Larger radiator Allowed

Stainless brake lines Allowed

Slotted/cryo treated rotos Allowed

Lower control arm brace Points assessed for Control arms (at least)

Solid motor mounts Allowed

Additional timing advance Good Question--most newer cars take this hit as chip/reflash of ECU. We probably need to address this one in the rules for 2006 for the older cars. A good faith assessment would be the same as the points for a chip or reflash.

BTW... You left out

race gas Allowed--only gives the advantage of allowing for other engine mods like advanced timing, boost controler, chip reflash etc. (that should take points)--does nothing by itself for a stock car

oil cooler Allowed

Water wetter Allowed

Greg,

Advanced ignition timing shouldn't be penalized the same amount as a chip or reflash, if at all. Chips/reflashes can and do not only alter ignition maps, but also boost maps/curves and fueling, two key ingredients to extracting more performance from a car.

Also, as far as race gas goes, it's not true that it only gives an advantage if you're running other mods. Consider that running even a small octane difference, 91 versus 93, produces different power in many cars, especially TC'd cars that like running extremely close to their knock threshhold. Many modern cars have highly sophisticated ECUs, WRXs for instance, that allow more ignition advance as they sense gasoline that is more resistant to knock events. Just food for thought...