Engine Swap question (BMW)

Franklin Joseph

Quick question...i'm looking at buying a car to compete in time trials.

Its a 1993 BMW 325is with a 1998 bmw 328is engine.

Just wondering if i have to get classified under the engine swap portion, or can i just base my points calculation on a 1998 328is? Its the same chassis.

Thanks

Franklin

what are the differences between the two engines besides the year?

did the existing chassis get offered with that "new" engine at some point?

what are the differences between the two engines besides the year?

did the existing chassis get offered with that "new" engine at some point?

One is a 2.5L engine, the newer one (on the car) is a 2.8L engine. The same chassis ran from 1992 thru 1999. Both cars have a base class of TTF** (just the 328 is 100lbs heavier)

Only problem is the car is very light - 2700lbs with driver @225rwhp. So dunno if i can ballast up and run TTC or if it goes by the engine swap rules, who knows where it'll end up in.

so long as you're taking any points for any other differences in things like suspension, chassis, etc (springs, bracing, anything) if there are any, no issue with using the newer base class that matches the engine afaik. Pretty common move with S2000s and Miatas.

Those numbers are on the bleeding edge of TTC adjusted hp/weight limit with 245s or smaller DOT tires. Might be over TTC on points as well, check that too. It still might come out ok after a reclassification, remember as your base class moves up with your reclassification the tire size that you base your tire points increases as well which can help too.

thanks for the info Ken.

So how do i get the car reclassified? send Greg an email?

Hopefully i can get the car before the May event at GSS.

2700lbs with driver @225rwhp

Send Greg an email w/dyno sheet and weight. That's way more than stock M52 power, and way lighter than stock E36... sounds like fun though