TT Run Group Traffic

GAC

All,

I was perusing the schedule for the upcoming event and it would appear that all TT competitors (approx 40) are running during the same time slot. Can anyone confirm this to be the case? Are 40 cars really on track at the same time?

• Members

At the last event at Buttonwillow, they told us there were 42 cars on track. I innitially thought this was going to be a traffic disaster. For the most part, this wasnt a problem. There were a few people not watching their mirrors very well but for the most part, I had a good lap in all but one run group.

Since Willow is more open, I suspect that passing wont be a problem there either. We can run 60 cars!

• National Staff

I don't have the final tallies yet, but I think there will be between 30 and 40 cars on the track during the HPDE4/TT run groups (after instructors are included). Willow Springs can handle this many cars without a problem as long as everyone is courteous and watches their mirrors.

Here in Texas, we have TT participants mixed in with HPDE 3/4 participants.

This weekend, we put a white "T" on the windshields of the TT drivers so that the grid marshall could identify them and let them on the track first.

This assured the TTers of getting a couple laps of clean track time in each session.

Here in Texas, we have TT participants mixed in with HPDE 3/4 participants.

This weekend, we put a white "T" on the windshields of the TT drivers so that the grid marshall could identify them and let them on the track first.

This assured the TTers of getting a couple laps of clean track time in each session.

Sounds like a step in the right direction Mitch.

at putnam i never got a clean lap except for a warm up and on cold tires i could only do 1:20.5 or so... once the tires heated up I always ran into traffic limiting my times to 1:20's. on sunday afternoon when there was actually some room i was able to run traffic free with my best being 1:18.3. 1:18.3 would've won, 1:20 was only good for 2nd place in TTA. So any tips or tricks of how not to have the same problem next time?

TIA

Pick your fast laps carefully. It is very rare that we are able to drive for 20 minutes with no traffic. Especially when you are one of the fastest cars on the track. I usually leave pit lane last or close to last and cruise through a full lap. Somewhat fast, but no brakes warming the tires. Then I go for it for a couple of laps. That is probably my fast lap, and now it is time to have some fun with traffic. At times I will slow up to cool the car and tires and find a gap to do it again.

The real fun is to get a good lap, then drive around with someone else who you match times with. At times two cars get through traffic much faster than one because they are easier to see coming and one can follow the other through a passing gap. Jason Lakomiak and I had a blast doing this at Putnam running laps about .1 from each other.

Pick your fast laps carefully. It is very rare that we are able to drive for 20 minutes with no traffic. Especially when you are one of the fastest cars on the track. I usually leave pit lane last or close to last and cruise through a full lap. Somewhat fast, but no brakes warming the tires. Then I go for it for a couple of laps. That is probably my fast lap, and now it is time to have some fun with traffic. At times I will slow up to cool the car and tires and find a gap to do it again.

The real fun is to get a good lap, then drive around with someone else who you match times with. At times two cars get through traffic much faster than one because they are easier to see coming and one can follow the other through a passing gap. Jason Lakomiak and I had a blast doing this at Putnam running laps about .1 from each other.

Good feedback.

When the car count is high, I suggest to my participants that they hot pit, explain they are looking for a gap to cut a fast lap, wait for the flagman to signal you and then go for it ...

It is paramount that you keep the grid and track marshal happy and informed.

Mitch, did and awesome job as Director of TT at MSR last weekend, the only downside was the unexpected Texas heat.....108 on Sat and likewise on Sun.

My son will be bumped up to racing @ NPR we are both OK'd to run with CMC and AI @ the back of the pack...my cars cage will not be legal by then......URRRG. Have to stay with TT.

Again great Job Mitch.

Skip 97 Bondurant Cobra #69

Scott 94 GT #78

Looking forward to some Cajan hospitlity.

Thanks, Skip.

Sorry you guys got pinned in by the CMC/AI impound line and missed your last run of the day on Saturday.

This is great Advice,

and exactly what i do, and what other drivers with similar speed have done with me!

It is a BLAST!