New to NASA? Learn your flags!

Mr Pepsi

So here's the story, I'm pathetic. I tried to test from HPDE 2 to HPDE 3 and failed my flag test. So I have an Android phone, and I found an app for flash cards. Its available for anyone to use from the Internet, or from an Android phone.

Go to http://www.studydroid.com (no affiliation)

Click search,

Search for: NASA Track Flags

You'll see it from MrPepsi

I kept the definitions short, some have more info, so learn more at the event.

Good luck.

best explination for the blue flag I've ever heard was at a Chump Car race at VIR:

"The blue flag. Ah! That one will get shown to you when there is a race going on and YOU'RE NOT IN IT".

NASA NorCal requires you to know all flags by heart, without hesitation to be able to move from HPDE 2 to HPDE 3. This of course is in addition to being able to prove you know your line, can handle your car well and you are courteous to the other drivers.

Granted things are different between regions... but I've actually made my students know that before they from from DE1 to DE2, since in our region DE2 is without instructor, so there is no one looking out for them.

There is another Andriod app - Karting Tools Lite. That has flags in there. I practice them with my kids.

When I started, and even as I was going into comp school. I had the CCR page of flags printed in color and placed in the cover of my notebook. The schedule was on the front cover and the flags were on the back cover.

At all the Great lake HPDE 1 classes I have been to Brad goes over the flags multiple times and all of the instructors I have had quiz me on them. Like Meatball and white with red cross. The only thing I wish they would do more drills like red flag drill to get used to seeing them.

Shhhhh, don't spread that around.

Why not, they get told in class to expect a red flag drill sometime durring the weekend.

Its our job to make sure they see the flag stations.

Typically the first laps of the first session are double yellow and we make sure they see each one.

No see, that idea might spread here

Uh - the red flag drill already has spread here in Norcal. In HPDE-3, you can count on a red flag drill once during the weekend - often during one of the last sessions on Saturday. They didn't do any red flag drills in HPDE1/2 or in HPDE-4, but did one during every event I was in during HPDE-3. You will learn a lot in HPDE-3 from Steve and Morgan though. - Jim

I still remember my first HPDE3 weekend, first red flag drill.

Wondering what the heck were people thinking.

Check mirrors

Slow down

Stop in sight of a flag station on THE RIGHT side of the racing surface.

There were guys stopping on the left, center, wherever the heck they wanted too.

On the front straight (surface is about 3 cars wide if you don't use the grass) there was a car on the right, just past him a car in the middle, and a little further a car on the left. EV would have had a heck of a time manuvering through that

This is from the CCR Flag Section

7.9 Red Flag

Emergency. Come to an immediate and controlled stop on the side of the track, in

a safe location. All manned flag stations around the course may display a Red

Flag. This means that the session has been stopped. No passing is allowed.

As soon as all drivers have come to a stop in a safe area, all of the flag stations should

drop their Red Flags and one of the following should take place:

1) All flag stations will motion to the drivers to continue. All drivers shall proceed to

the starting line using extreme caution, being prepared to stop if necessary.

Drivers should remain in their cars and prepare for the session to resume.

2) All flag stations will display double yellow flags indicating that the drivers should

continue on course until a green flag is displayed.

3) All flag stations will display a black flag indicating that the remainder of the

session has been canceled and the drivers should exit the track.

No see, that idea might spread here

Uh - the red flag drill already has spread here in Norcal. In HPDE-3, you can count on a red flag drill once during the weekend - often during one of the last sessions on Saturday. They didn't do any red flag drills in HPDE1/2 or in HPDE-4, but did one during every event I was in during HPDE-3. You will learn a lot in HPDE-3 from Steve and Morgan though. - Jim

I recall doing one once in HPDE 2, but I haven't made it to HPDE 3 yet, good to know.