Tire Help

OHIO4DRTEG

Last year I had taken my turbo charged Integra to 3 HPDE weekends, I had mechanical issues with my car at all of them. So over the winter I removed the turbo kit replaced some bushings and I am now ready to enjoy this great sport except one issue I bought Kuhmo Victor racers v700 off of someone to use as my tires. My issue is this past weekend it rained and I went out on a borrowed some street tires and wow did I learn how much the V700 where covering up, when the dry line came back. What I need is opinions on a good set of HPDE tires that will talk to me and let me learn verses compensating with grip. I am looking in the 16" range (225/50-16 preferred size). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Guest

First off, congrats for realizing that the v700's are hurting your learning curve! Not everyone is able to identify that when starting. In HPDE, I would recommend any street tire with a decent amount of tread. An all season will provide you with feedback via "talking" aka squeeling like a stuck pig, which is good until you can feel the feedback your tires give you. I ran on Nitto Neo Gens for a while (they are cheap).

round

won't fall apart under the heat of track driving

cheap

are the qualities you're looking for in order of importance You can go with a fanicer stickier nice street tire if you want, but it'll cost more than it needs to. Fun factor may make it worth it to you though. YMMV.

Just make sure you run the correct air pressure to start. Many many many many many many many , if not all (get the point?) start their air pressure way to low on a street tire.

Totally agree on r-comps covering up / impeding learning.

Extreme Performance Summer is what I would get. I personally use the Dunlop Z1 Star Spec. Top AX tire and very very popular in HPDE/TT.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Direzza+Sport+Z1+Star+Spec&partnum=25VR6Z1SS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Pressures - start with 32-35 cold and look for hot in the 42-45 range.

Mike (Black TTF SVT Focus)

Star Specs are a good choice. Have them as my rains and occasional play tires as well.

I started off on Falken Azenis. Also not a bad tire.

Totally agree on r-comps covering up / impeding learning.

Extreme Performance Summer is what I would get. I personally use the Dunlop Z1 Star Spec. Top AX tire and very very popular in HPDE/TT.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Direzza+Sport+Z1+Star+Spec&partnum=25VR6Z1SS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Pressures - start with 32-35 cold and look for hot in the 42-45 range.

Mike (Black TTF SVT Focus)

Mike, I looked at these and I guess you can only get these from tirerack, My local tire guys said they can get DZ101 but not the Star Spec. I get a discount from my local Goodyear is there any that you would suggest that they might carry.

the DZ101 is the newer version (I think) - give it a shot, should be about as good so long as they didn't go too soft with it during the update

Not the same iirc. DZ101 = longer lasting, not as sticky. 300 treadwear I believe.

+1 for Star Specs, great all around tire. I use them as all seasons on the E36. Not very good in snow, though

Mike, I looked at these and I guess you can only get these from tirerack, My local tire guys said they can get DZ101 but not the Star Spec. I get a discount from my local Goodyear is there any that you would suggest that they might carry.

TireRack only now. They signed a deal with Goodyear to be the only carriers.

DZ101 is nothing close to the Z1*.

Order from TR -- even I have to

the DZ101 is the newer version (I think) - give it a shot, should be about as good so long as they didn't go too soft with it during the update

Wrong. DZ101 is a general summer tire. Not the Z1*

Not the same iirc. DZ101 = longer lasting, not as sticky. 300 treadwear I believe.

+1 for Star Specs, great all around tire. I use them as all seasons on the E36. Not very good in snow, though

Actually, not safe. That compound does not work below 45F. Could have an instant (aka unexpected) loss of traction.

:lol: Actually, not safe. That compound does not work below 45F. Could have an instant (aka unexpected) loss of traction.

LOL, safe is a relative term. I have driven on Star Specs in every condition there is - including below freezing many times a year. Just got home from 40 miles in heavy rain on 'em, 49 degrees outside. Haven't wrecked or lost control yet

My new (to me) 2007 350Z came from CarMax with new Velozza (?) tires made by El Dorado (?). They are fairly hard. They seem fine for around town duty but on the track the dry traction is pretty bad.

I'll be on them again this coming weekend (DE1) but hopefully this will be the last time.

So, I'm thinking about getting a set of track rims and tires. Have looked at the Dunlop Star Spec but also the Hankook Ventus R-S3 (treadwear 140) and the Kumho Ecsta XS (treadwear 180). All three cost about the same but the Hankooks weigh 5 pounds less than the Star Specs. Probably makes no difference for someone in DE1/DE2. Anyone heard anything about the Kumho and Hankooks?

I had a set of Hankook evos on my G35 and they did quite well on the track (for DE-1) and were cheap.

:lol: Actually, not safe. That compound does not work below 45F. Could have an instant (aka unexpected) loss of traction.

LOL, safe is a relative term. I have driven on Star Specs in every condition there is - including below freezing many times a year. Just got home from 40 miles in heavy rain on 'em, 49 degrees outside. Haven't wrecked or lost control yet

Some of us enjoy that added fun factor of "is there going to be traction here?".