How do you hold up windows in your track car?

wheelhopper

I am doing some weight reduction on my fox body Mustang and am ready to remove the electric window motor, gearing, and cut the metal from the inner portion of the door. I would like to be able to place the glass back in the door at the end of the track day to keep the weather and dust out. I don't need to be able to raise and lower them, just put them back in place. I have seen a few different ideas on BMWs, but none on Mustangs. If anyone can give me any ideas, especially with pics, I would appreciate it.

Might be better off tracing them onto lexan and finding a way to attach those, that way you can just put them anywhere without worrying about breaking them.

plywood, shower curtain, staples, & velcro straps. Then again, did you expect anything less from me?

Thanks John, but not sure the GF would appreciate me taking the shower curtian

Making some Lexan is not a bad idea, but I would still need a way to hold them in place when put back into the door. I am not really worried about where I would keep the glass ones anyway.

Doug

Send me a PM as a reminder for when I get home from vacation and I will send you pics of the plastic shower curtain and Velcro I use on my vette.

I took a piece of PVC, cut a notch in it, and adjusted the length so it would wedge from the glass to the bottom of the door. I had the room to do that though...

Does the top of the window slide into a channel that is part of the roof or part of the door?

Edited by Guest

go re-read that. Does the glass slide into a channel at the top that is

a.) part of the door - ie a "framed" window opening that is part of the door

b.) part of the roof - ie "frameless" window opening where the glass is held at the bottom by the door, and at the sides & top by the pillars & roof

A vs B makes a difference in what people may recommend as a good solution

I don't... I removed everything window related to make a roomy enough cage for myself. If it's going to rain I bust out the crash wrap film and gorilla tape. Eventually I'll ditch my open trailer for a small enclosed.

:lol: go re-read that. Does the glass slide into a channel at the top that is

b.) part of the roof - ie "frameless" window opening where the glass is held at the bottom by the door, and at the sides & top by the pillars & roof

Missed that

The window slides into a channel that is part of the door frame

those are *really* easy to deal with then, try the pvc pipe idea posted earlier, or a wooden dowel, or similar you really just need something to hold the window up in the frame like the old existing window mechanisms used to do.

when you're dealing with frameless windows you've gotta be alot more creative

On my RX-7 I drilled a couple of holes in the door sheet metal (internal liner etc) to line up directly with the holes in the glass where the window glass mounted to the trac/regulator mechanism when the window is all the way up. I just use a couple of lag screws with thumb drives to hold the window up. The screws are a few inches long and go through the inner door liner from the inside, through the stock bolt holes in the glass (with a plastic grommet) then through the inner door sheetmetal on the other side of the glass, but not through the outer door skin...

On the 944's we just drill the window channel so a once the window is in place put a pin across the channel to hold the window in place. I've also used large bulldog clips on the window channel to do the same thing

• 1 month later...
:lol: go re-read that. Does the glass slide into a channel at the top that is

Pretty sure it's A for every fox body I have see except the verts....

• Members

My fox body did not have windows in it when I bought it so I made templates with card board to make lexan windows. I started out thinking of elaborate ways to keep the lexan in and found that I piece of wood cut to length did the trick. It works perfectly.

If needed, I can send pictures.

• 4 months later...

An old Porsche racing trick for window control is so simple, anyone can do it.

They used a leather strap that was attached to the bottom of the window and it came up on the inside of the door with the glass. On the inside top of the door or wherever you preferred it to be, inline with the belt was a small protruding bolt like used on a tonneau cover. The belt had holes punched in it like a pants belt would have. You can lower or raise the window to where the belt holds it in place. If the belt had six holes, you had six heights to afix the window height to be. A more current version could be to use a web belt and velcro!

This is about as light as you can get, won't be lost anywhere and has varying heights for the window available! Plus leather is very durable and UV won't kill it!!

McGyver

• 2 months later...

Best low buck effective solution ive used is keep a roll of carpet protection film on hand. Wide enough stock to stick to the top of the door and the roof...if you get it laid out flat with cleanly cut corners you can drive for miles without it pealing back. But if you have folds or gaps the car will turn into a big balloon.