ECU

FastNotFurious

Being new to this whole thing (but always liking the Z cars and wanting to get into road racing) I've got a lot to learn...

The rules seem pretty clear so far and I too am looking forward to some critical improvements but would like some guidance on a current rule.

12.9 ECU

a) Factory ECU must be retained. Replacement or “piggy back” systems are not permitted.

“Reflashing” of factory ECU is permitted. Refer to Appendix A for recommended Nissan Part.

Appendix A

Part Detail Note Motorsports Part

ECM

OEM only Reflash allowed Reflash maps available from

Nissan Motorsports

So I am surmising that you can't do any old ECU tuning but only use the maps from Nismo? And where do we get those, I haven't been able to find them - I hope they are downloadable somewhere. Ideally I'd like to know what the particular reflash maps offer as well.

Also, could I put an '06 ECU into an '03 and possible get some benefit as it seems the difference between the engines is primarily the ECU tune (or am I way off base here - its not like an HR)?

I also spoke to a guy at a track recently building a SpecZ who though putting HR exhaust manifolds on a DE engine was OK and possibly helpful.

Comments?

Thanks - appreciate any experienced guidance here before I waste time/money.

In the crazy world of "Rules Speak"...recommended means it is "OK to do something else"....required means "required"

in this case you MUST use the factory ECU, but the way you tune it is open, However with the stated limitations (no piggy-back stuff)

Also, the Appendix "A" is somewhat misleading when you look at the "Detail" column. I would like to see it say "free" instead of "reflash allowed: for clarity...