Are 924s Competitive in 944 Spec?

carsandcapp

Guys,

Picking up a '87 924s as a parts car for my NA '88 944. (I need some drive train parts). I have a buddy that has an early 944 engine and drive train, but in a beat up car. It is kind of a frankensteined vehicle. He wants to get into racing too and we were thinking about installing the '84 drive train in the '87 924s body.

Questions: Does the lighter weight make the 924s more desirable? - (this one is is a sunroof delete car which I think would be good).

Can a narrow-bodied 924 compete with the 944's?

Has a 924 car ever won a region that anyone is aware of?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Yes 924's are very competitive. They do have the lighter chassis and narrower profile and track width. They still have to weigh 2600 lbs though.

The car that Everett Delano (So-Cal Regional Director) runs in The So-Cal region has set most of the track records in So-Cal.

Tim Comeau runs a 924'S in So-Cal and is fast too and I believe has a track record with a 924's in So-Cal.

As long as the chassis is straight then go for it.

Yep I surely agree 924s are great and seem to have an easier time staying cool on hot days with close racing with that open scoop below the bumper vs. the 944. Sometimes a little bit narrower body comes in handy too. You can always put wheel spacers on to push the track width out to come near to or equal with the 944 width. I have a few things left to strip from my car and it was still pretty easy to get to 2400lbs dry and mine was a sunroof car.

Cheers,

Ryan

Yep, a 924S has won a National championship. I drove Tim's at Autoclub, and it's very competitive - no worries there - get that bad boy on track!

• 3 weeks later...

A 924S is a compeitive car in class. We have designed to rules to allow that. Only difference is in the narrower track and narrower body work. It seems that there is no fundamental performance difference in the cars. Each driver/builder may have a preference as once you dig into the there there are subtle differnce in each of years. These really come down to ease of build parts on hand.

I run an 84 944, but use many 924S parts from both my 87 parts car (wrecked) and 88 parts car (engine fire).