Another when-to-move-up questions.

n80

I've run HPDE-1 four times now, all at CMP. Twice with NASA, twice with Turn-1. I have run several sessions solo. I don't mind which level I stay in but I have heard the DE-1 classroom lectures four times and I think I know them by heart.

So I think I will move up to DE-2 at my next CMP NASA event and the equivalent of DE-2 at other events unless there is a good reason to stay in DE-1 longer.

My main question is what I should do if I go to a different track that I've never been to. I'd still know the basics, the flags, track awareness and all that but I would not know the line and braking points at all. I'm hoping to maybe make the trip to Atlanta Motorsports Park with NASA in October. By that time I will have driven CMP one more time as DE-2. AMP will probably be new to many of the instructors.

So should I go back to DE-1 for my first new track?

And what is the process of moving up to DE-2? Do you just sign up for DE-2 and have an instructor sign off on you after a session or two?

Even though I have been solo, instructing, Time Trialing, and racing for years, I generally run in DE1 when I go to a new track. Why? Because the traffic is so much slower, I can concentrate on learning the track and not worry about being in the way of faster drivers.

Sometimes it is just nice to be "King of Green"!!!

When you sign up for your next NASA event, just put a note in the comments section that you need a check ride for DE2. Julie will schedule it for you during your first session and afterwards, you'll run the rest of the weekend in DE2. As for new tracks, you can still sign up for DE2, just find an instructor that you're already familiar with and ask them if they would be willing to show you the line. Most are more than willing to do that for you. Technically you can request an instructor in DE2, but it's not guaranteed.

I understand how the classroom can become repetitive since I teach it. You can get move up to DE2 for CMP but when you decide to run a different track you can still sign up for DE1. Having a instructor in the car shortens your learning curve.

I understand how the classroom can become repetitive since I teach it.

Kim, you taught me so well (twice) that I have it memorized.

Even though I have been solo, instructing, Time Trialing, and racing for years, I generally run in DE1 when I go to a new track. Why? Because the traffic is so much slower, I can concentrate on learning the track and not worry about being in the way of faster drivers.

Sometimes it is just nice to be "King of Green"!!!

Great advice - I planned to do this too.

And what if your instructor doesn't sign you off for DE-2? My instructors have told me that I'm ready so I hope that would not happen but I'm sure it must have happened before.

George,

My advice would be to keep an instructor in whichever group you decide to run. Have a goal for EVERY session to work on an advanced skill and continue learning.

George,

My advice would be to keep an instructor in whichever group you decide to run. Have a goal for EVERY session to work on an advanced skill and continue learning.

Definitely.

I know the lines at CMP fairly well. I know what I should be doing at each turn and I generally know what I did wrong when I goof up. I think continued instruction will help with smoothness, settling the car and consistency and I have a long way to go with those.

At least one instructor will have some time on AMP

Sign up for DE2 at CMP, ask for an instructor. If Julie and Laura can't find you one for the weekend - well you know where to find most of us

Your previous instructor at CMP should have written something like "OK to solo CMP next time" in your book and on the eval they turned in - I know I do it.

New track - Sign up for DE1 so you are assured of getting an instructor.

ANYONE going to the track and getting instruction should try to find their instructor an TALK to them. Especially a student that has some experience, that way the instructor can put a game plan together for the weekend.

Your previous instructor at CMP should have written something like "OK to solo CMP next time" in your book and on the eval they turned in - I know I do it.

My instructor signed off for me to solo the last two two sessions the first time I went. The second time I had a family emergency and had to leave after two sessions on Sunday so I was not able to discuss things with my instructor.

My last two events were with Turn-1. On Friday my instructor said I was ready to drive solo but nothing formal.

It will probably be October before I run with NASA again and I'll talk to Julie then.

ANYONE going to the track and getting instruction should try to find their instructor an TALK to them. Especially a student that has some experience, that way the instructor can put a game plan together for the weekend.

Up until now I had a general idea of what I needed to work on (everything) but now, especially at CMP, I have a good idea of the specific things I need to improve on so I think that would be a good conversation to have.

Thanks.

I know every region is a little different, but from what was pounded into my head was keep the instructor as long as you can it can only help you. For my sign off to group two my instructor had another instructor jump in to evaluate my skill level. I got signed off on my 3rd track weekend.

I have been doing DE since 1999, I have a comp license and am an instructor with NASA, and if I'm going to a brand new track, I almost always want a local hot shoe that I can either ride with, or that they can ride with me (hopefully both). it speeds up the learning curve big time, and you will pick up a lot of data and tricks much faster than you figuring them out cold.

• 2 months later...

New, but related question: I've now done 5 events at CMP and am considering doing another track day with Turn-1 (run by CMP) and would like to drive in the solo group. Turn-1 needs documentation of course. I have run with them twice so they have that documentation. I don't have any at all. I recently ran at a Mustang Club in their "C" group which is like DE-2 and was signed off to solo. I have contacted them for documentation. I was signed off to solo at a NASA event in Oct. 2011 too. Does NASA keep this info? I know Julie Pantas is in charge but would she have this documented and available for me or Turn-1?

(I also ran in DE-1 at CMP with NASA in Feb but had to leave early due to a family issue and did not drive solo.)

No log book. Was issued one at my first event with NASA but instructor left before the end of the last day so did not get it filled out. I had to leave early on my next NASA event. Next 2 events at Turn-1 they do evals but keep them. I can probably get copies of those. Local Mustang club just sent me their eval form so I do have that.

If that is not sufficient for Turn-1 it is no big deal, I don't mind staying in the instructed group. I'll run CMP with NASA in November and sign up for DE-2 and get a check ride then and make sure I get documented and start keeping a log book.

But that brings up another question. The log books from NASA are basically an instructor evaluation. Do you keep a log book after moving into DE-2? And if so, do you just self eval or do you just keep it as a record of what events you've been to?

The old log books had lots of pages for each of the HPDE levels.

I think I wrote in mine up to the first or second HPDE3 event.

I had every event I attended - including non-NASA events. Had my instructor update the book when I had one.

I instructed for the National Corvette Museum a week ago and asked my students for information on their experience my yellow (HPDE1/2 level - kinda where you are) sent me a word document with the track events he attended and auto crosses.

Keeping some kind of log and notes on what you learned at each event and each track even without the log book would be a good thing.

I should keep better notes as an instructor cause I am constantly running into old students and theying to remember them is getting hard (I'm getting old - turned 55 last week )

Keeping some kind of log and notes on what you learned at each event and each track even without the log book would be a good thing.

That is a good idea. I think I'm going to start keeping a notebook and requesting a copy of my eval any time I have an instructor and putting that in there. For events without an instructor I will keep a copy of the registration and any notes I have on the event.

I'm getting old too, pushing 50, and I've already forgotten a couple of my instructors names. So a notebook will help.

I keep my NASA log book and then created a spreed sheet in excel to keep help keep track of the non NASA events. I found most instructors will take five mins to talk you and write down what you need to work on.

I run solo at Road Atlanta, but usually know someone there that is running in one of the race categories and still have them jump in with me for a session. Even though I know what I'm "supposed" to do, I will still pick up additional tips, and having a few different high level driver's input can help out a lot.

If you can find someone driving the same kind (or at least very similar) of car you're in, that can be a big help as well. I'm in a 500+rwd car with front tires wider than a lot of car's rear tires. The basics still apply, but there are definitley differences in how you approach the track in something like mine vs a momentum car.

When I go to a new track, I 100% want an instructor (or a friend with a lot of experience at that track) for at least the first session or two. Can I learn the line on my own? Sure. But as it's mentioned before, it's a whole lot quicker to have someone show you the tips and tricks at a new track. Especially if you already understand the dynamics of track driving.

n80 when you feel you are ready to move up a group ask for a check ride. The biggest move is the one from HPDE2 to HPDE3 because of the change of the passing rules.

As for your log book after HPDE1 have your classroom instructor sign off on it. You fill in the information that you feel is important for the event like if you had any offs or car issues tire changes whatever. anytime you have a in-car instructor have them fill it it out.

I added cool smileys to this message... if you don't see them go to: http://s.exps.me