Autobahn Results

GSroadracer

Hey, I would love to hear a run down of the AI race at Autobahn if anyone would like to share.

Thanks.

Three AI racers on both Sat and Sun ; TJ Bain, Robin Burnett, Dave Algzozine

Saturday Qualifying - Track was oiled down early by a GTS car, so no one got any good laps.

Saturday Race - I started first, on the inside. TJ was outside of me and Robin beyind me. Going into T1 lap 1, I had severe rear wheel hop under braking, and didn't get slowed down enough (more on the problem later). TJ and I were side by side entering T1, but I lost too much realestate under wheel up and got into the side of TJ. We both stayed on track and he continued ahead of me exiting T1 / T2 combo. Robin was right on my bumper. Realizing I had a issue I backed off for the rest of the lap. Robin passed me me pretty easy. Lap 2 T4, it happened again and I spun around. So I finished that lap and pulled into the paddock. TJ went on to leg out a nice lead over Robin, and thats how it finished.

Sunday Qualifiying in order - TJ, Robin , Dave. Robin made some adjustments from Sat and picked up a bunch of time.

Sunday Race - They lined up the Thunder group by time, not class. So it worked out that all three of us were in the same column in order, nose to tail. Clean start. Robin ended up on the outside of T1/T2 combo. Another car got inside his row and made it three wide, which pushed Robin into the marbles, and they were really bad off line. As he went to turn in for T3, his rear end stepped out. He proceeded to perform a 4-5 tank slapper as we headed toward T4. I was right behind him dodging left and right thinking about making a pass as he was trying to save it. Finally Robin looped it, and I went around. Robin got it straightened out and back on pace, but lost a ton of ground. Having to be patient waiting to clear Robin, TJ built up a pretty good lead. We went the next 8-10 laps at nearly the identical spacing. Then I started to gain some ground. I cut the distance in half. Then 2 GTS cars racing nose to tail, got on the insdie of me at 2 consecutive turns. I lost a ton of time. I lost everything I made up and then some. Cruised the remaining laps. Finishing order -TJ, Dave , Robin. TJ was fast and consistant all weekend.

My wheelhop issue - Originally I thought the de-coupled torque arm pre-load needed adjustment. Plus, the track is extremely bumpy in many areas, including all of the braking zones. I adjusted the torque arm and dialed out more rear brake for Sunday practice, but it only helped a little. TJ suggested I change to a less aggressive rear brake pad. I had Hawk DTC-70's in the rear and went to HT-10's. That was a huge improvement in the braking zone. Every once in a while I could induce wheel up, but it was very minner compared to Saturday, and only if I jumped real hard to the brakes on the rough part of the track, which is typical.

Edited by Guest

Dave, thanks for the write-up. It ain't easy bing an American Iron fan.

You don't need any handy tips from me. I'm just an HPDE noob who doesn't know how to drive, but FWIW, I've had the same issue in my Camaro.

Scary wheel hop- really bad especially in Turn 1 at Autobahn- when using a track/race oriented compound on the rears. I switched back to "Autozone" pads with no other changes, and the wheel hop went away completely.

BTW- if anybody is looking for a gently used set of Hawk pads for the rear of a 2000 F-Body, I have a set for sale cheap. Only 5 laps at Autobahn worth of wear on them.