Updated Spec Part: Rear Brake Pads

Jon M.

• Members

All,

After much effort by the collective NASA MA/SPEC3 Team, there will be an update to the rear brake pad run by our group. The goal with this change was to help balance the car more evenly under heavy braking load and reduce the wear rates on the front brake components. As the pad compound is newer than the one we currently use, it will cost a little more (+$10). I personally believe that this change will be offset by a reduction in the rate of front brake consumables, but for now that is only speculation. This change has been tested by multiple drivers and run back to back with the existing package to examine rotor temp differences. We personally believe it will be a positive addition to the existing package we all enjoy.

As always, Andrew Racing (andrew-racing.com) will continue to be our primary vendor for Spec3 brake pads. A big thank you goes out to owner Jay Andrew for helping to facilitate the testing of this new component and for continuing to support the series with great service and trackside delivery.

The new pad will be integrated into the supply chain over the coming months and will carry the same stamped part number on the backing plate for impound inspection (expect a ton of inspections at nationals). The total cost of the rear pad will be $120, a screaming bargain.

Many thanks again to Hawk, NASA-MA, Andrew Racing, and Chris Cobetto for helping to make this change and continuing to support our growing series.

All the best and I look forward to seeing many of you at Hyperfest.

Jon

• Members

As you all know I really like the concept and all the drivers in the Spec3 class. I truly enjoy working with Jon and such a great group. It makes my job fun.

I am pushing Hawk to get these new rear brakes into production. I will post here as soon as I have them on my shelf.

In the mean time all who are interested if you could sent me an private email to my Andrew-Racing email and let me know if you want a set. this will help me get an idea of how many sets to ask for in my initial order to Hawk.

Thank you as always,

Jay

Yay, progress!

Jon, you may want to put this on bimmerforums, too. I think we are slowly informing the public about our class - and the more that take a look, the better.

Great news, glad to hear we are making some changes in the series!

I'll plan to burn through the rear pads I have on there, and then switch over. What happens with the set I haven't used that are sitting in my parts box? Would it make more sense to burn through those as well?

• Members
Great news, glad to hear we are making some changes in the series!

I'll plan to burn through the rear pads I have on there, and then switch over. What happens with the set I haven't used that are sitting in my parts box? Would it make more sense to burn through those as well?

Two options would be to use them or sell them. I'm sure there are many track rats out there happy to buy a set of 10's. The rear caliper crosses over to the M3 as well I believe.

• Members

Andrew, Jon,

Did you guys get the email I sent out this morning?

All of these details are in there. I did not want to clog the forums with this.

Jay

• Members
Andrew, Jon,

Did you guys get the email I sent out this morning?

All of these details are in there. I did not want to clog the forums with this.

Jay

No sir. Nada.

I didn't get it either, not sure what email it might have gotten sent to. Do you have vatechm3 @ gmail.com as my main contact? Either way, Brian McD sent it to me anyway, and I've got my unopened box of rears on my desk ready to exchange. How best should we go about it Jay?

Thanks! Looking forward to some grippy pads in the rear! (of the car for clarification sake )

Sorry if I havent caught it somewhere, but is there a date for when the old pads are illegal? I cant see it being used but w two available compounds we have technically two brrake setups which I guess alters brake bias. New pads working better in all scenarios it shouldnt be an issue

• Members
Sorry if I havent caught it somewhere, but is there a date for when the old pads are illegal? I cant see it being used but w two available compounds we have technically two brrake setups which I guess alters brake bias. New pads working better in all scenarios it shouldnt be an issue

It is not an issue of the old pads being illegal, because everyone is fully entitled to run the old pad until there are none left.

• Members

I am told I could have these new compound pads as early as Tomorrow 5/22/12.

Please confirm your order with me through an email or phone call.

If you are going to exchange an un-opened old compound box please ship it back to me as soon as possible. I will credit your account. you don't have to order new ones right away but I would like to get all returns processed with Hawk at the same time. I am asking that I receive all returns by the end of this month. Thank you for helping with this.

Jay

• Members

All,

I just got off the phone with Jay. All the thanks to him and Hawk, he now has the new rear pad compound in stock. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, if you want to swap your existing unused set, SEND THEM BACK ASAP so that Jay can take care of getting full value from Hawk.

Thank you again to everyone who helped to make this happen.

Jon

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

My opinion is that if your "old" style rear pads have life left, then use them up before switching. Is it an improvement, I think so, but are we talking tenths of seconds, probably not.