Securing your stuff at the track

pjmcgarvey

Did track days awhile back in a car that needed very little other than a jack, wheel wrench, chair, etc of very little value at the time... In my current car I feel that I need to bring alot more "stuff" to have onhand. I could fit alot of the smaller stuff into a large rubbermaid bin to keep it hidden, but an air tank, aluminum race jack, other large items will not fit. I would plan on cabling and locking together alot of the stuff, but how do others (that don't have tow vehicles, enclosed trailers or other people with them) secure their stuff?

I'm assuming the least I have to worry about is other drivers, but it's the other people that aren't driving that have access to the paddock area.

Specifically at NJMP for an HPDE these days what are the rules for access to paddock areas where alot of equipment is lying around? How is security in general?

Thanks

While I cannot speak for the crowd at NJMP, I have never had any issues at any road course with my tools or anything walking off.

While I cannot speak for the crowd at NJMP, I have never had any issues at any road course with my tools or anything walking off.

Shoot, have you seen some of the stuff in the enclosed trailers that is just there for a bad person to grab?

I don't worry about it, even with an open trailer and a good amount of stuff I haven't had anything grow legs. Only thing I "hide" is my wallet.

Think of the folks participating as your eyes and ears, make friends with every one around you.

You may find that most things on the "gosh I better take this just in case" can be found and borrowed from those guys with the enclosed trailers. Shoot some of those guys have more tools than I have in my garage - and I'm building an engine

• 2 weeks later...

At most events I do not worry about it. The only exception to this is Hyperfest at Summit, when I lock tools and "stuff" in the car overnight. Knocking on wood, but I have never had an issue.

a plastic tote with a lid and a small padlock is overkill for most events, but if you want the piece of mind...

The last time we were at Thunderhill in Ca I forgot to close the enclosed trailer and fell asleep with the motorhome door wide open, all was good the next morning.