seatbelt "clip" for street cars????

t500hps

At my last event I was told there was some type of seatbelt clip that secured the belts where the waist and shoulder bands came together so the belt would stay tight, holding you in place. The person thought they were around $20.....but what are they called and where can I find them?????

The CG locks are closer to $50. I've been tempted. I've read good reviews and not so good reviews. I've heard that they are better than nothing.

The seats in my Z are very supportive for factory seats but I have to brace with both knees when cornering to the point that my left knee hurts at the end of a track day. In my track videos I'm leaning all over the place. Not sure if a CG lock is going to stop all that.

Have looked into race seats to use just at the track but can't find a fairly cheap direct bolt in. But it sure would be nice.

Have heard good and bad things about harness bars. The Sparco harness bar for the Z is almost $500.

I have the same issues. The following is easy to show, but a bit awkward to describe in writing. Need a power seat though.

When I get in the car, I run the power seat back a good bit, then buckle the seatbelt and pull the shoulder portion a bit so that the retractor lock grabs. Then, holding the shoulder portion out so that the retractor stays locked, I then run the seat forward so that the belt snugs up. Not ideal, but much better because the shoulder strap is tight against my chest.

YMMV,

Mike

Well that sounds like what the guy was describing.....I'm already sinking more into this car than I planned. What I really need to do is just get a full time track car and leave this one for daily driving!!!!!

Thanks for the name of this product, is there anything similar out there?

The CG lock looks like it snugs the lap belt portion only, leaving the shoulder part free to extend, right? I think having the shoulder part of the belt tight is more helpful. Am I missing something?

The CG lock looks like it snugs the lap belt portion only, leaving the shoulder part free to extend, right? I think having the shoulder part of the belt tight is more helpful. Am I missing something?

That is my understanding as well. It does not lock the shoulder portion of the belt, just the lap.

Edited by Guest

What I really need to do is just get a full time track car and leave this one for daily driving!!!!!

Do this - get a full time track car. Miata's, E30's are inexpensive, shoot even a built corvette isn't that much.

What I really need to do is just get a full time track car and leave this one for daily driving!!!!!

Do this - get a full time track car. Miata's, E30's are inexpensive, shoot even a built corvette isn't that much.

Oh you have no idea how close I am.

I have 2 buddies that run CMC which are fairly cheap too. Plus one, who is a lead mechanic at a ford dealership, is willing to help me build whatever I need. The problem is my wife insist she get a new vehicle before I get a track car.......so I'm taking her shopping next week

and then the other more common problem.....$$$

Yes, the CG Lock "locks" the lap belt only, but that is the majority of your movement. I don't know how expensive they are now, but I paid $75 for two of them off of eBay years ago. You'll be suprised at how well they work.

If any of you are coming to Road Atlanta, I can let you use mine for the weekend. I have two that I keep in my bag for students.

I have two that I keep in my bag for students.

That is a freakin genius idea! That might save my legs (standing on firewall) and arms (trying to hold myself up on the door) from a workout. Bring them to RA and I will borrow them for my student (but more for me)!!!

When I autocrossed, the trick was to engage the locking mechanism in the retractor with enough belt left over to latch it. Took some practice, but seemed to work pretty well - when you remembered to do it.

That doesn't seem to work with mine. It seems like a bump or anything that allows the tension to release, releases the lock. Maybe I'm not pulling it tight enough.

I think I'm going to get a CG Lock. I have debating but even with cloth seats (vs slippery leather) I feel like I'm hanging on and bracing in all the turns.

Yes, the CG Lock "locks" the lap belt only, but that is the majority of your movement. I don't know how expensive they are now, but I paid $75 for two of them off of eBay years ago. You'll be suprised at how well they work.

If any of you are coming to Road Atlanta, I can let you use mine for the weekend. I have two that I keep in my bag for students.

My butt is actually the only part of me in my car that feels stable and not moving. My seats have cloth centers with leather outer sections so I don't slide but the G-forces tend to force my knees outward in hard turns. I know my upper body is getting push outside as well but I move far into the wheel and easily hold position with the steering wheel (not ideal but it works).

If it matters my car has a G-force recorder in the dash computer. It must max out at .99 cause that's what it shows for left, right, and braking (and .89 accelerating)

I use a CG Lock, and love it! The majority of my issue without the CG Lock occurred during braking. With a heel-toe downshift, both feet are occupied so I couldn't brace myself from sliding. Throw in some trail braking, and now using my hands/arms to brace isn't a great idea either.

I was constantly readjusting on the straights to push myself back into the crevice of the seat. With the CG Lock, I can lock my hips against the back of the seat and it stays put.

I used a CG lock for the first time during the filming of "are you faster than a redneck". I was very impressed. My left knee is usually sore after being at the track all day, from pressing up against the door. This was the first time that i didnt have to use my knee to balance me. Thought of harness bar but for the money this is the way to go, unless your ready to commit to roll bar.

• 2 weeks later...

1st time I really gave the CG Lock a good test was this past April running the Tail of the Dragon. It kept my ass planted and for the first time, I felt what all the instructors talk about, "being planted firmly in the seat so you feel as if you and the car are one". It works. I've since upgraded to the G-Force 5 pt. It works too.

I used one for the first time this weekend. I can't say that I am one with the car yet but it sure kept me planted. The main thing I noticed is that I did not have to brace as much with my left knee against the door. That has to help with car control and fatigue. Fifty bucks might be a tad overpriced, but if you are stuck with OEM seat belts like I am it is the only game in town as far as I know. So to me, it is worth it and I'll continue to use it.

When I first started HPDE, I utilized a G-lock (had leather seats) an instructor told me to utilize a sheet of non slip shelf liner (like you would utilize in your tool box) on the seat to assist in restricting sliding. Worked like a charm in conjunction with the g-lock.

I was going to order one of these but it says once secure it holds the "lap" belt tight like a racing harness. Because my seats are cloth and reasonably well "bucketed" I don't have a problem with my butt moving around, it's more my upper body and a little in my legs.

Is anyone going to be a Hyperfest that would let me try one of these? If it helps much at all I'll buy one but I'm concerned it wont help in my car.

Russ C.

The seats in my Z are cloth and very grippy so I had the same thoughts. But the CG lock still helped me not need to brace against the door or center console with my knees. It did not completely eleminate the need to brace but reduced it dramatically. Don't think it does anything for upper body but nothing short of a harness is going to help with that.