Found a way to remove another 14lbs off nose. CARBON FIBER!

AJ Hartman

I'm always looking for ways to make my car lighter. And removing weight from the nose is the best place. I'm right around 3000lbs without any real light weight goodies. Just from removing un needed stuff. Heres my latest.

Altho usually removing stuff is free, I do have a little money wrapped up in materials. I made a light weight fiberglass lens for the headlights. This enabled me to not only remove the headlights, but the headlight mounting panel also. All told was 14lbs. Since I already cut up my mounting panel a while ago, my instance is roughly 8-9 lbs. Still not too bad. Since I have the mould now, if anyone wants a set let me know. I also have plans to make more things out of fiberglass or even carbon fiber in the future.

I used the original headlight as the plug and made a mould of that. Then just pulled the part from the mould. Its a lot neater and cleaner than just a flat piece blocking the opening. Haven't installed them yet but ill post a picture when I do.

Heres the mould and part made from in for the passenger side.

IMG_0812.jpg

Edited by Guest

Awesome and nice weight loss

Unfortunately w racing world challenge also can't do it but if AI on

Y a great idea

Too bad they won't fit my 96.

The thing about fox and 94-98 headlights and corner markers is they are constructed differently than the 99-04's. They are pretty light to begin with so the savings won't be as much. Since the 99-04's are one piece and internally adjustable, they are kinda bulky.

I need a set of those for my sn95. Price?

sorry, don't have the parts to make a mould for 94-98 headlights yet.

Put me down for a set

John

will do. I'll shoot you a pm.

These things have been getting a good amount of interest so I'm gonna lay up a few sets. I'll also be looking into making something for the 94-98 crowd. Does anyone have a set laying around they don't need? If you let me use them to make a mould you will get the first set for free!

Have not gotten around to doing mine yet I've been so busy with other things but just a few small aluminum tabs should do it. Nothing difficult or fancy. Since I cut out my upper rad support, my method of attachment may be different then most peoples.

Put me down for a set

John

will do. I'll shoot you a pm.

These things have been getting a good amount of interest so I'm gonna lay up a few sets. I'll also be looking into making something for the 94-98 crowd. Does anyone have a set laying around they don't need? If you let me use them to make a mould you will get the first set for free!

I think I have a set. Give me your address and I will take you up on that offer.

Ron

So how much weight off the 2011 and ups?

I've not been fortunate enough to work on a car that new yet. Theres definitely weight to be lost up there but never having really seen how one goes together, I don't know how much could be lost.

Just shipped my first set today and might have someone that can let me use a set of 94-98 style lights to make a one piece cover for that body style as well. I'll keep everyone updated if I make a set for those years.

Here they are mounted. I think they look kind of cool white. Also, I was able to acquire a set of 94-98 lights from someone and will be making a mould for them. I know a few of you asked about those so they should be available in a few weeks.

SAM_0168.jpg

SAM_0169.jpg

• 3 months later...

made the drivers side out of carbon fiber. Didn't do the passenger side cause I turned that into a ram air setup.

The cf piece is only 7.5oz.

IMG_0934.jpg

Hey Ron. Time has been really tight around the shop so haven't made much progress on them. I didn't forget about you tho. When I get them done you will be the first to know.