1st race comments

laze1

Quick update:

I raced at Road Atlanta this weekend in the 1st NASA-SE Spec Z class. There where 2 cars, mine and Clark Crawford from Nashville.

I started out slow on Friday's test & tune day running 1:50 laps, during Saturdays practice/qualifying/Race I got down to 1:47s, then today, got to 1:44. And 1:44 is the best time I had in the car in PTB configuration, and that occurred in Dec of 2011. Today it was mid-80 Degs...December it it 40 degs. So i am happy there...but know there is some more speed in the car.

I played with sway bars, shock setting and tire pressures. The car handled pretty well and the tires are sticky. At the end I still had some push in T1, T7, T12 that slowed me down...and T7 was the worst...I will work on that issue next time out.

However The biggest issue was the difference in overall gearing...I used to run a 4.08 gear with 275-40-17s, but now am running the Spec tires (18s) and OEM gears (3.5)... so now I don't use 6th dear at all, and 4th gear is your best friend....this really screwed me up...I had think about great I was in. I am sure I will adapt quickly, but is was problematic for me this weekend.

My new Spec Z friend Clark beat me in both races, with him running race laps in the 1:43 range...this is 2nd event in the car, with the first being a HPDE track day to do his basic suspension tuning. He said that the 1:43 was his best time when running in SCCA T2 or T3 configuration, He feels he has some more speed to find as well

I will post vids and Pix in a few days..

Anyway...I am pretty happy with the car, and think it will be fun to drive with a little more suspension tuning.

Edited by Guest

We are relatively fast thru the Esses..but that was it

We both just tried to stay out of the in the straights

Car was faster than expected on track... looked good out there.

Just for comparison, what's SM track record?

EDIT - googled it and found a 1:42.

Moti

better comparison would be to look at the fastest SM & SE30 times from that same event

RA gets VERY fast in Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb when most track records are set, and with some heat slows down a good bit

I CANT WAIT TO GET MINE COMPLETED!!!!!!!

What can I do to help speed the Build?

We need 3 cars running to get full payout!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!