Lurker- Interested in Spec Z

C.Plavan

Hey Guys I have a few questions about the Z cars, and Spec since I'm a Z Newbie.

Anyone have a list of the Parts Costs, not counting the car? I have built a few cars before, but never any Nissans.

Any year Z considered "better"? I know they have different weight limits per the motor in the rules.

How many miles are on the "Donors" that you guys are building?

What are the Z's weak points? (Trans, etc?) Any oiling issues with these motors when used on the track?

I have read after having a car, you can figure $10k in parts, not counting labor. Does this seem accurate?

Say a motor goes south, What do new ones cost?

Thanks in advance, I'm really toying with this Spec series.

• Members

The budget I am putting together is more like 20K, not including the car or labor.

I am not sure about the motor but I know I used to buy brand new transmissions from Nissan for around $1500, but don't quote me on that it has been a while.

I think it is to soon to tell about what year will be best. The HP numbers are really close so I think it is going to come down more to which chassis has the best power curve to weight ratio, not just peak number. I am building an 03 right now for a customer, and plan on building the same model year based on price of the shell.

I don't have a lot of experience with the DE motors, but the HR's and VHR's oil temps have been an issue. I plan on running the NISMO oil cooler to start but if that is not enough then I will add to that kit.

I hope to have two cars running in 2013, hope you come join the fun!

Here is a good place to get some answers... http://my350z.com/forum/autocross-road-305/

My thoughts:

I think the later model HR and VHR cars will definitely be faster...(more stock HP and Revs)

used DE engines (like I have) can be had for $1800 with 80K miles...low mileage JDM engines are a good choice as well.

The Wave Trac diff is the primary liability issue today. thus a BIG diff oil cooler is mandatory

An engine Oil Cooler is a must as well

...everything else is pretty solid

$10k MINIMUM in parts...excluding safety stuff/cage/seat/belts/fire system/driver comfort and Vid & data acquisition (traqmate and gopro) ...and extras/spares

Edited by Guest

Nissan Motorsports Spec Z draft

System Part Detail Note Motorsports part Racer Price

OEM only Reflash allowed

Exhaust

Exhaust Manifold OEM

Cat back Free 20100-RSZ35 $1,041.00

Intake

Airbox OEM

Intake tube OEM

Air filter Free

Plenum OEM -no spacers No interchange between models

Fuel

Fuel system OEM

Cooling

Radiator Free OEM dimensions in height and width 21400-CDZ33 $550.00

Oil Cooler Free 21300-RSZ33 $553.51

Drive train

Clutch Free single disc OEM dimension 30100-CD019 $59.53

Pressure Plate Free single disc OEM dimension 32010-CD020 $134.43

Flywheel OEM or NISMO 12310-RSZ30 $550.00

Transmission OEM only

Differential OEM final drive Motorsports rear cover allowed 38351-350DK $96.00

Limited Slip Unit Spec Wave Trac 38420-SS370 $1,099.00

Wheel

Wheel Free 18x9 max front 18x10 rear max Min weight 18.2 pounds

wheel stud free NISMO 60mm (2 needed) 40222-RS045 $70.00

Lug nut free Motorsport open end (20 needed) 40222-SS000 $4.98

Suspension

Shocks Spec Front and Rear KW Double adj 5600S-SZ350 $2,599.00

Springs Spec Front and Rear Progress special for Motorsports 54611-SZ350 $180.00

Sway Bars Spec Front and Rear Progress special for Motorsports 56230-SZ350 $180.00

Brakes

Calipers OEM

Rotors Free OEM dimensions only

Brake lines Stainless steel 46200-23Z33 $136.50

Pads Free Front 41060-Z33RP $410.00

Rear 44060-Z33RP $425.00

Emergency Brake Must be operational Check NASA rules

Body

All Exterior Body Panels Must be OEM All interchange OK NISMO Z parts

Front Bumper Cover FBM22-1A45H

Front lip F2026-1A44A

RH side skirt Fits on top of OEM side skirt G6850-1A44H

LH side skirt Fits on top of OEM side skirt G6851-1A44H

Rear bumper cover HEM22-1A45H

Rear cover, lower H50B2-1A44A

Rear cover, guard H5050-1A44A

Rear wing upper K6031-1A44H

Rear wing center K6074-1A44H

Rear wing lower K6032-1A44H

Rear wing bracket K60A0-1A44H

Hey Guys I have a few questions about the Z cars, and Spec since I'm a Z Newbie.

Anyone have a list of the Parts Costs, not counting the car? I have built a few cars before, but never any Nissans.

Any year Z considered "better"? I know they have different weight limits per the motor in the rules.

How many miles are on the "Donors" that you guys are building?

What are the Z's weak points? (Trans, etc?) Any oiling issues with these motors when used on the track?

I have read after having a car, you can figure $10k in parts, not counting labor. Does this seem accurate?

Say a motor goes south, What do new ones cost?

Thanks in advance, I'm really toying with this Spec series.

Are you paying someone to build the cage? There is a large cost there depending on who does it, their experience - if any - with Z cars (I paid a "Z fee" since it was more complicated than "other" cars), who does the gutting, etc. I have built two cars now. Remember, you will have some stock parts to sell from your donor car, especially if it had any aftermarket doodads from the original owner. I tracked the costs to the penny for both cars, here is a rough breakdown (not including parts I sold from each car):

NASA Cage, kill switch install, window net install, steering wheel install, removal of airbags, etc. $3,000

kill switch $125

Schroth harness $325

window net with top mount kit, 18x24" $100

NASA inspection, log book, stickers $96

Replacement studs $280

NISMO flywheel $600

Black Kics race lugs $110

FR/RR brembos and race pads: $2000

SpecZ suspension and diff with finned diff cover plus short stub axle $4200

Install SpecZ / diff / dyno / alignment, $1,780

Fire system - 2.5# Halon by Safecraft $166

Quick-release steering hub and steering wheel $139

Spec tires: $1275

Enkei 18x9/18x10 wheels (two sets or 8 wheels): $2800

Labor to install all items (suspension, brakes, studs, flywheel, etc,. etc.): ~$2000

Since then, I have paid R&R for the diff,

Quick total: $19,000

Items still to handle: Oil cooler, diff cooler, gauges

You could get away with less/different wheels, no NISMO flywheel, save on labor, cheaper harness, run stock diff and non-Brembo brakes (or buy a track model) sell stuff, etc., to get the cost down to $12-13k plus a donor car.

I see engines for $1500ish, but if you can find a "known oil burner" they go for super cheap, and I don't care if it burns 1qt of oil / 1000 miles, as I change it more regularly than that anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone interested in buying a 2004 spec z car? If so please contact Velocity Motorsports at 303 797 3435 for list of whats been done. Thanks.