Initial Setup: Ride Height, Alignment, Shocks

petemac

What have you guys found success with so far? I am doing my initial setup to run the car for the first time this weekend. Any advice on what has and hasnt worked so far?

• 5 months later...

Now that you have run a bit, would you mind sharing what you have found on the suspension? Does anyone else have any advice for a initial setup, what works and what doesn't?

I will post my stuff up...gimma a couple of days I am Lazy and will be drinking tonite watching the "big Game"...and a couple of days to sober up.

Anyways...I went REAL soft...details to follow.

I have some info. We battled with it for a while, but after nationals I did a private test day with the car and def got it in the ballpark. still needs some work, but its a good baseline. I have to dig my setup sheets and shock dynos out of the trailer (its a mess), but ill post them up once I get a chance.

OK Kids...here is my 2013 info...no shaite...it is real...I just completed my setup

Tires between 42-44 HOT front and rear...I play with these as needed (BFG R1 like high pressure)

Alignment front; -.15 deg (toe out) rear -.+15 deg (toe in)

Camber: front -1.8/2.0 rear -2.5 , would like to have more front camber and less rear camber...but...

Ride height: front 46MM from 1st thread to bottom of adjuster, rear 30MM from lowest possible setting

ASB: front: normally full soft, rear medium or full hard

Dampers: front: bump = 5 rebound=7

rear: bump=5 rebound=10

Note: I was running my car so low it was sitting on the bump-stops. I just raised my car up 30MM to the above settings, so I may be able to firm up the rear dampers as i go forward. I was having wicked snap-oversteer due to hitting the rear bump stops...lets see if raising thecar resolves that nasty problem. I am now running ~1/2" BELOW STOCK ride height...I will see if I can lower it as the season goes forward...but the rear is gonna be higher than I really want...but...

Edited by Guest

I haven't had a chance to get in the trailer yet and pull out my setup info. I will either get my sheets this weekend or when I get back from Daytona.

OK Kids...here is my 2013 info...no shaite...it is real...I just completed my setup

Tires between 42-44 HOT front and rear...I play with these as needed (BFG R1 like high pressure)

Camber: front -1.8/2.0 rear -2.5 , would like to have more front camber and less rear camber...but...

Ride height: front 46MM from 1st thread to bottom of adjuster, rear 30MM from lowest possible setting

Note: I was running my car so low it was sitting on the bump-stops. I just raised my car up 30MM to the above settings, so I may be able to firm up the rear dampers as i go forward. I was having wicked snap-oversteer due to hitting the rear bump stops...lets see if raising the car resolves that nasty problem. I am now running ~1/2" BELOW STOCK ride height...I will see if I can lower it as the season goes forward...but the rear is gonna be higher than I really want...but...

Thanks for the info! Perfect timing too, I have a race this weekend and will be tuning the suspension on Friday. I was bothered by the rear height not being low enough after I installed the KW's, so I just set the car as low as it would go in the rear.. I guess I will bring those up a bit now that you mention it.

Jack the car up, pull the bump stops all the way back down, then lower the car, then jack it back up and see where the bumpstops are now. Mine where at the top, touching the top of the upper shock mount...

I had mine at the lowest postion as well, and had problems on any bumpy surface...wicked snap oversteer

Jack the car up, pull the bump stops all the way back down, then lower the car, then jack it back up and see where the bumpstops are now. Mine where at the top, touching the top of the upper shock mount...

I had mine at the lowest position as well, and had problems on any bumpy surface...wicked snap oversteer

Mine were at the top also after i brought the car back up. One thing I noticed while I was back there -- under full droop (jacked up) I could probably yank the rear spring out... Is this normal? Seems like the spring could bounce right out of the LCA if the car really unloads. After all, the lip for the helper spring spacer is only about 1/4" high.

At full droop you should NOT be able to pull the spring out if all the parts are in there...top adjuster, main spring, middle piece, helper spring, and base mount...at least I cannot move mine even when set as low as it will go...

At full droop you should NOT be able to pull the spring out if all the parts are in there...top adjuster, main spring, middle piece, helper spring, and base mount...at least I cannot move mine even when set as low as it will go...

The rear was too high with the helper springs so I replaced them with the spacers... I think I am going to put the helper springs back in there though to get the spring tight. Thanks

Note: I was running my car so low it was sitting on the bump-stops. I just raised my car up 30MM to the above settings, so I may be able to firm up the rear dampers as i go forward. I was having wicked snap-oversteer due to hitting the rear bump stops...lets see if raising thecar resolves that nasty problem. I am now running ~1/2" BELOW STOCK ride height...I will see if I can lower it as the season goes forward...but the rear is gonna be higher than I really want...but...

I tried out this suspension setup over the weekend. It was nice loading it on the trailer and not having to worry about scraping The shocks felt soft but it surprised me how well they worked at those settings. My bump stops came within a couple CM of the shock top after my sessions, as expected. After a few runs I had to lower it quite a bit to get camber. I could only get -.7 camber and the lowest possible rear toe I could get was +8 It wasn't a good test anyways because I was on old 245's rather than the spec tire. I am going to work on it some more and post results. Thanks again for taking the time to write it out!

I just realized that my camber may have changed with the ride heigth change...as I have not had my car on an alignment rack yet or driven it. I will report back in once that is done

• 3 weeks later...
I left my helper springs in...but I do have the replacement spacer gizmo's...

But since I don't need to go lower, I left the helper springs in...

I removed the helper springs awhile ago because the rear set so high. What are the spacer gizmos, and where are they from? I have purchased two sets of the spec suspension, and don't know of said spacer wingdings....

I removed the helper springs awhile ago because the rear set so high. What are the spacer gizmos, and where are they from? I have purchased two sets of the spec suspension, and don't know of said spacer wingdings....

Talk to Rick Kulach at Nissan. He can help you with that.

In another post on specZ setup, someone mentioned disconnecting the rear sway bar. I was advised to try that recently at Homestead as well. The car felt better to me but my lap times didn't improve. Most of the post here are trending in the opposite (stiffer) directions. Any ideas why such a wide discrepancy since we all are running the same stiffness in our rear springs?

The spacers just replace the helper springs with a solid disc of aluminum. After receiving my coilover kit nissan motorsports sent me a set for free a week a later.

My springs are really loose in the back under full droop even with the spacers in. I can't imagine it being stable without the spacers. I could post a video of it, but under full droop, if I yanked hard enough I could pull my springs out.

The spacers just replace the helper springs with a solid disc of aluminum. After receiving my coilover kit nissan motorsports sent me a set for free a week a later.

My springs are really loose in the back under full droop even with the spacers in. I can't imagine it being stable without the spacers. I could post a video of it, but under full droop, if I yanked hard enough I could pull my springs out.

Mine (no helper springs) is the same way. When I jack up under the diff and the sides droop, there is play in the spring as well...