Porsche GT Crashes at California Speedway.

FocusTed

Don’t know if anyone saw this. But a Porsche GT crashed at a Ferrari Owner's Club track event at Cal Speedway. Both people inside the Porsche died.

I believe a Ferrari coming out of the pits jump right into the racing line, and made the GT loose control at 120+ MPH.

The club was using the infield section of the track only, and I believe you entry the track just after the Right/left turn before the straight that has the bridge.

I feel sorry for the families.

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/4562562/detail.html

Ted,

A good friend and colleague of mine was there when it happened. It should serve as a wake up call to all club racers and a reminder of just how dire the consequences can be.

I believe a Ferrari coming out of the pits jump right into the racing line, and made the GT loose control at 120+ MPH.

The club was using the infield section of the track only, and I believe you entry the track just after the Right/left turn before the straight that has the bridge.

It was the infield, but the track entry is after the bridge. From what I've read elsewhere (from people who were there), the Porsche was already over to the left when they were told to stay to the right until after the track entry point. Since track entry is on the left, and the next turn is a right, I can see where there could be issues.

It was the infield, but the track entry is after the bridge. From what I've read elsewhere (from people who were there), the Porsche was already over to the left when they were told to stay to the right until after the track entry point. Since track entry is on the left, and the next turn is a right, I can see where there could be issues.

Here is a video clip: http://mysite.verizon.net/res7weom/carrera.mpg

In particular, note the skid marks which would indicate that the Porsche was fairly far to the left when he locked the brakes. It appears that he veered off slightly to the right. Once he hit the grass, it would have been difficult to correct, but based upon the NBC slide show, it looks like the right side of the car impacted the barrier.

Here is a map of CS (may be slow to load): http://www.californiaspeedway.com/uploads/assets/seating/cal_interiorcourse.pdf

Without knowing more it appears that the initial brake application must have occurred somewhere east of the entry to the track.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members
Hey guys, I thought I'd stick a link to some pictures of my HANS Device installation... I wrote it on an Audi Forum I usually post on. I figured I could fit it in this thread since it's safety oriented.

Nice write up Pat!

Ive been thinking about this myself actually.

My only concearn is mobility. How much can you move your head while wearing the Hans? My head is already on a swivel. I dont have any spotters to speak of either, so I really need to be able to scan the mirrors.

you'll get used to the SLIGHT reduction in mobility very quickly. I can still move enough to see all my mirrors. in my view this is a must for all high performance drivers. do it now BEFORE you need it!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I think NASA may require the HANS for competition next year. I will be purchasing one this winter. Nice write up Pat!

On topic: I am really really sorry for the people directly affected by this tragedy. I do wonder if anything could have been done to avoid this.

* marking on/near the track surface to remind cars to avoid pit out traffic.

* perhaps holding the pit exiting car longer until the exit was clear of oncoming traffic.

* Limiting drivers to lower powered cars until enough seat time has been achieved. I tell everyone I know to start small. More will be learned by not having alot of power. It is SO difficult to get that point across.

I hope we dont ever see anything like this again. Over all I think the race track and HPDE environment is relatively safe. Some 30,000 people die per year in vehicular related accidents on our public highways. They dont have corner workers, grid marshalls, instructors, or clean up crews. I think driving on the street is far more dangerous.

Let us not forget what happened and do our best to ensure we follow the rules and make sure everyone around us understands the importance of these procedures.

• 2 weeks later...

From watching the tv news video, I have on question. Couldn't there have been something there instead of just a concrete wall at a right angle to the track? A gravel trap and/or 3-4 rows of tire wall would have made a huge difference in the outcome.

From watching the tv news video, I have on question. Couldn't there have been something there instead of just a concrete wall at a right angle to the track? A gravel trap and/or 3-4 rows of tire wall would have made a huge difference in the outcome.

I'm not sure, but I think they have changed the angle of the wall at the track now. But, you're right it I think the Angle of the wall should have been better.

• National Staff

The angle of the wall is about 45 degrees to the direction of the track, but as you can see, the angle of the impact was more like 70 degrees because of the way the car hooked. There are now a bunch of tires against the wall there.