Clarification on Dyno Re-classed cars hp/wt

Vettedoctor

This weekend at Mid-Ohio some of us were talking about some of the Corvette dyno reclasses and there was some confusion on weather dyno reclassed cars get the hp bonus for running smaller rubber or not. Some said yes others said no and I was interested in finding out officially what is correct.

For example:

'99 Chevrolet Corvette C5 FRC w/o Z-51 with a maximum 364 rwhp on a Dynojet, and a minimum competition weight with driver of 3120 lbs, will be re-classed as a C5 Z06, and will have a new TT/PT base class of TTA*/PTA* (seven points). Your new base tire size is 295mm. You will not assess modification points for Section B weight reduction or Section C. engine mods. However, all other modifications, including LSD and transmission, that are not standard items on a base trim Chevrolet Corvette C5 Z06, except for the body modifications compared to the C5 must be assessed points. You must be compliant with the above listed maximum Dynojet hp and minimum competition weight during any tech inspection.

Now with this new dyno reclass the above base tire is a 295 - so if you run 275's do you get the 4 points and .4 hp/wt for running a -20 mm smaller tire? Or do you only get the extra 4 points and have to stick with the 8.57 hp/wt in the re-class?

Since your base class is TTA and the hp/wt in TTA is 8.7 you would only be able to go to 8.4 if you weighed the minimum of 3120, but it would still give you almost an extra 7.5 hp if you get a hp bump as well.

I would think that since you get to do whatever you want to your engine to get to you the re-class number and you should be making a good amount of torque and that you should be locked into the reclass number no matter how small a tire you put on, but that's just me.

I haven't seen this asked anywhere and since there was confusion at the track I figured the question was worth asking.

Thanks,

Joel

• 1 month later...