Boss 302, Laguna Seca, zl1 or GT500?

RacingDude

Hey everyone,

I'm a complete n00b and think ive narrowed down my car selection but wanted to get some advice.

What I am looking to do is to become a better driver and get into racing. I'm not looking to race against others right away but maybe after my skills improve and I learn more about the sport.

Ideally, I'd like to have a car as stock / street legal as possible and have a car that will be competitively classed.

To start I just want to improve lap times and hopefully some day get on the boards.

With that I really like the Boss 302, Boss Laguna Seca, zl1 and the GT500. I know I can buy a more race oriented car for less, but want the factory warranty and some modern amenities.

Are these good cars to start with? Are they well classed? Does one stand out more then another? When can I find classing information myself?

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

It sound like TT is what you should be looking at, given you want to compete (but not wheel to wheel) with a stockish, street car.

It appears that the Boss 302 is going to be in TT3, the ZL1 & GT500 in TT2. Both of these categories are relatively open except for power to weight limitations, and I don't expect these cars to be all that competitive with the C5 & C6. This goes double if you don't modify the cars fairly heavily (e.g. keep it street oriented/friendly). Just like in the SCCA Forum, where you posted the same question, the best pony car from a classing standpoint is the Mustang GT in TTB (the Camaro doesn't seem worth the extra built in points in TTB* (2010-11) or TTB** (2012+)). The modification points structure used in TTB limits the modifications making a mostly stock / street friendly car much more competitive than in the higher classes. Plus a well prepared TTB Mustang GT would probably be more than a match for a stock Boss 302, and could be a good bit cheaper.

If money isn't a factor and you want to go faster than the GT, buy a C6 Grand Sport (TT3) or Z06 (TT2) as they make a much better starting point for those classes. Although in unmodified or lightly modified form they still won't be highly competitive (the downside of running in a realtively open category is more work / mods are required to be competitive).

The rules are posted on the NASA web page. But be aware that TT3 is replacing TTA in 2013, and I am assuming the higher TT classes will be resuffled a bit to match the equivalent Super Touring racing classes. 2013 ST rules are out, but the 2013 TT rules were not out yet last time I looked.

Bruce is on the right track. If you want to try and attempt to compete with minimal mods / streetish car stay in the points TT classes (TTB and below). You'll still give up an edge to a 100% car, but a good driver can make up for alot as well.

Not sure how well Ford or other mfgs stand behind their cars after track use as well.

If it's going to be a car dedicated soley to track, maybe consider something a little older/disposable and learn to work on it yourself. You'll need to know that to race it as well, unless you're going to hire a shop to prepare the car before events and/or work on it at the track if it needs anything. Nothing wrong with that if you've got the coin for it!

If you're dead set on either of those 4 cars I'd do the Boss I guess