New with some questions

mspencer64

I am wanting to get started in this club style racing. I have many years of circle track racing and recently started racing my r6 on road courses. My biggest question would be what class is the best economical class to get started in. I was thinking of building either a civic or camaro. Im not looking to spend my life saving on building a car but really looking forward to having fun. all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks mike spencer

Mike,

Economical and racing should never be used in the same sentence. As you're not new to racing I'm sure you already know that though. I've been road racing with a couple different clubs for several years now and although I'm biased as I'm a Spec Miata driver I don't think you can beat the Spec Miata class.

Mazda sponsors the class which means you can buy parts at a much lower cost than most of the other classes. The cars are VERY reliable when compared to most of the other classes. To run a full schedule only requires a couple sets of tires, maybe 2 sets of front pads and rotors and one set of rears. All of which are very reasonable when compared to a lot of other classes. These along with other reasons are why the Spec Miata class is very healthy and growing. You're always guarenteed plenty of competition no matter where or when you race.

That being said, if you want to run at the pointy end of the pack you'll have to spend a lot more. You'll need a pro built motor, dyno tunning, rain tires, and more tires. That pretty much goes for any class though.

I just finished building a ST1 car which has to be at the other end of the spectrum.

visit an event near you and see what Spec (Miata, E30 BMW, 944, etc) and Semi-Spec (like CMC) classes are popular in your region, then talk to the drivers and see which group seems like the most fun and what car fits what you want to work on the best. Go from there