BFG KDWs - anyone tried them yet? Mine are chunking

FastNotFurious

As I am working on my car and driver build I am running all stock except for race pads on my Brembos (Carbotech XP12/10).

When I needed new tires I figured I'd get the spec KDWs as I wanted to stay stock with street tires for a while longer and focus on driving skill... my suspension arrived so I'll be getting the R1s soon.

I've run 2 track weekends on my KDWs and they are chunking all over - outer edged (which I initially thought was rubbing so rolled my fenders more "aggressively") and now also near the middle - front and rear, left and right are showing pretty much the same pattern - lots of rubber chunks missing.

Pic (thanks dcazin) https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0F9MS9gjNSkejdjdC1PSmk5NEk/edit

All the date codes are the same (4611) so they are not overly old.

Anyone else seeing problems with KDWs?

Thanks.

[update - after more searching it looks like a lot of people experience chunking with these on track - exact same pattern too - I've contacted BFG. Not likely to be as much of an issue racing since this will be for rain use.]

Edited by Guest

They are only used as "rain tires" in Spec Z...and I have not heard any feedback from a SpeC Z racers on them yet...

As I am working on my car and driver build I am running all stock except for race pads on my Brembos (Carbotech XP12/10).

When I needed new tires I figured I'd get the spec KDWs as I wanted to stay stock with street tires for a while longer and focus on driving skill... my suspension arrived so I'll be getting the R1s soon.

I've run 2 track weekends on my KDWs and they are blistering all over - outer edged (which I initially thought was rubbing so rolled my fenders more "aggressively") and now also near the middle - front and rear, left and right are showing pretty much the same pattern - lots of rubber chunks missing.

Al the date codes are the same (4611) so they are not overly old.

Thanks.

Ya, I realize that. And so they probably won't need to endure the abuse I am giving them at the moment. Just thought I'd ask.

You got any plans to come to VIR next month for the joint MA-SE event?

They are only used as "rain tires" in Spec Z...and I have not heard any feedback from a SpeC Z racers on them yet...

I've run 2 track weekends on my KDWs and they are blistering all over - outer edged (which I initially thought was rubbing so rolled my fenders more "aggressively") and now also near the middle - front and rear, left and right are showing pretty much the same pattern - lots of rubber chunks missing.

Thanks.

Not coming but would love to one day...Life is getting in the way of Racing...I hate it when that happens

Ya, I realize that. And so they probably won't need to endure the abuse I am giving them at the moment. Just thought I'd ask.

You got any plans to come to VIR next month for the joint MA-SE event?

Thanks.

Edited by Guest

There is life outside of this? Hmmmm... interesting concept...

Not coming but would love to one day...Life is getting in the way af Racing...I hate it when that happens

• 6 months later...
There is life outside of this? Hmmmm... interesting concept...

Not coming but would love to one day...Life is getting in the way af Racing...I hate it when that happens

As a follow up I have learned the KDW is a pretty good rain tire (ran in heavy rain last race) and the chunking was just an issue with too much heat for so much tread when running KDWs at that kind of speed on dry track... the BFG R1s are great on the dry (as you know) but I still need to learn how much wet they can handle before I need to switch to rains for a race - I haven't tried the R1s on damp pavement yet...

... the BFG R1s are great on the dry (as you know) but I still need to learn how much wet they can handle before I need to switch to rains for a race - I haven't tried the R1s on damp pavement yet...

Three years ago I learned all I need to know about R1s on a damp track. At Road America, on a drying track and temps in the 50's they were marginal. I hoped they would come in after a few laps and provide an advantage, but they felt greasy and on-the-edge for almost my entire race. I say "almost" because the weather gods decided to take a crap on that race just past halfway. It poured down rain and I ended up hydroplaning off the track at T3 and getting stuck in the gravel trap.

So if it's a warm summer day and the track gets a brief shower, the R1s remain a good choice. But any standing water and there's no question- get the wets on!