Can we come play?

Cobra4B

Ballin' on a budget C5s are looking for a home. PTA is most likely going away to be replaced by ST3 which would be a open-modding spend-fest at a slightly higher power/weight.

Curious if there's been any discussion about allowing C5s to run AI? I mean don't pushrods and leafsprings count for something

The water is just as deep in AI and the spending is just as rediculous. Sell your vette and go to CMC if you want budget racing without Aero.

Gut isn't fat enough, mullet isn't long enough, and I don't beat my wife nearly as much as I should.

Most of us are in therapy and are cutting our hair a min of once a year whether we need it or not.

Still have not been able to kick the drinking part which we are finding hard to do, not a lot of desire – sorry cannot talk now – need get a drink.

So TTA/PTA are being replaced with ST3/TT3 which is 9.0:1 no aero and 9.5:1 aero. This seems very close to the existing AI rules. Here in Mid Atlantic we are down to an average of 2 ST2 cars and 0 PTA cars so I'm not sure how ST3 is going to change anything. AI is good participation.

Do you guys think a C5 would be an overdog? I mean you already run the new Boss Mustangs which are faster than C5s to begin with.

it would be an overdog if it was not significantly restricted. a boss mustang makes well over 400whp. at 3400lbs 9.5 - 1 is 357whp.

the other thing that i am sure would be considered is that a c5 is a significantly more aerodynamic body. if the cars were even power to weight wise, the corvette should win with an equal driver particularly if given the brakes, shocks and aero that a typical ai car has.

i am not against it. its just not as simple as power to weight when you talk about the corvette.

There's absolutely no way a Corvette belongs in AI.

If you want to run a Corvette in a low power builders class, go run ST2.

How is ST2 a lower power class? It's 8.0:1 now; 7.6:1 on 275s. That requires 410-420 rwhp which means a cam and headers in a LS6. Why can't a 9.5:1 C5 run AI. I've been on track running Boss Mustangs in ST2 and they're plenty competent around the track with equal power/weight.

except the boss mustangs that i think you have been on the track with have full aero packages including vented hoods and if its desalvo and winkler, they are running slicks as well. not dot tires.

if you put them on 275 r6's and take the aero away, they are not going to keep up nearly so well.

except the boss mustangs that i think you have been on the track with have full aero packages including vented hoods and if its desalvo and winkler, they are running slicks as well. not dot tires.

if you put them on 275 r6's and take the aero away, they are not going to keep up nearly so well.

If they were running slicks then they were cheating. The times I've been out there they've been in A6s which is what I run. My car wasn't/isn't a full ST2 car anyway. I don't have full aero, fancy suspension and I run small tires (255s at the time). Last time I ran ST2 at VIR I was turning 2:04-2:05s on scrub 255 A6s vs. De Salvo and Wally (ST2 C5Z with full aero and 315s etc.) running '02s most of the time.

Just look at how well the Boss did at the runoffs in SCCA T1 this year.

when ive been on the track with chris and george winkler this season they have been on pirelli or hoosier or toyo slicks. theyve been running aix at the time as well.

this is why i qualified what i said with if's

How is ST2 a lower power class? It's 8.0:1 now; 7.6:1 on 275s. That requires 410-420 rwhp which means a cam and headers in a LS6. Why can't a 9.5:1 C5 run AI. I've been on track running Boss Mustangs in ST2 and they're plenty competent around the track with equal power/weight.

I think you may have mis-read my post. I did not say lower power, I said low power. By low power, I mean stock-ish engines. ST2 (and AI too for that matter) does not require a costly engine build. You can get there with a stock LS long block.

I've got a good comparison from my own experience. From what I've learned the C5 platform is far superior to any of the pony cars.

This past April at Road Atlanta I ran with NARRA in GT3 (8.5:1 power/weight). On Saturday I ran my AI car, and on Sunday I drove a bolt on but fairly stock C5Z. I was blown at how good a Corvette really is. We tuned some more power in my AI car to meet GT3 rules. I don't remember the exact HP numbers, somewhere around 350 to the tires. I ran 315 R6's all the way around on both cars. My car has full aero and is 200 lbs lighter than the C5 I drove. The C5 had no aero, and was stock expect long tubes, the older phadt coilovers, swaybars and AP brakes. It was still carrying the freakin' A/C bits. I did not push the C5 that hard because A) it wasn't mine, and B) it had a stock radiator and no oil/trans/diff coolers. I ran a best of 1:32.4 in my Camaro; and a 1:30.4 in the C5. The Corvette was a full 2 seconds a lap faster than my AI car. Imagine what it could do built to the limit of the AI rulebook, less 200 lbs., and with full aero. It would be well into the 1:2X's. AIX cars don't even run that fast...

FWIW my AI car is going up for sale soon; IF it sells, I'm building a ST2 C5.

That wing is a joke. It sits on the deck. The customer put it on for looks. I'm sure it does something, but it's not like the car had a full aero package.

That wing is a joke. It sits on the deck. The customer put it on for looks. I'm sure it does something, but it's not like the car had a full aero package.

That yellow car pictured above has more aero than any PTA legal Vette that ever ran at RA.

I think you may have mis-read my post. I did not say lower power, I said low power. By low power, I mean stock-ish engines. ST2 (and AI too for that matter) does not require a costly engine build. You can get there with a stock LS long block.

I've got a good comparison from my own experience. From what I've learned the C5 platform is far superior to any of the pony cars.

This past April at Road Atlanta I ran with NARRA in GT3 (8.5:1 power/weight). On Saturday I ran my AI car, and on Sunday I drove a bolt on but fairly stock C5Z. I was blown at how good a Corvette really is. We tuned some more power in my AI car to meet GT3 rules. I don't remember the exact HP numbers, somewhere around 350 to the tires. I ran 315 R6's all the way around on both cars. My car has full aero and is 200 lbs lighter than the C5 I drove. The C5 had no aero, and was stock expect long tubes, the older phadt coilovers, swaybars and AP brakes. It was still carrying the freakin' A/C bits. I did not push the C5 that hard because A) it wasn't mine, and B) it had a stock radiator and no oil/trans/diff coolers. I ran a best of 1:32.4 in my Camaro; and a 1:30.4 in the C5. The Corvette was a full 2 seconds a lap faster than my AI car. Imagine what it could do built to the limit of the AI rulebook, less 200 lbs., and with full aero. It would be well into the 1:2X's. AIX cars don't even run that fast...

FWIW my AI car is going up for sale soon; IF it sells, I'm building a ST2 C5.

Impressive time at RA for sure. Get on with the build

And yeah that has more aero than what we can run. They won't let us tape up the front bumper coves w/o taking points.

So TTA/PTA are being replaced with ST3/TT3 which is 9.0:1 no aero and 9.5:1 aero.

Where has this been put in writing? Or are you Vette clowns stirring stuff up and imagining things. I see NOWHERE that Greg has put this in writing on a national level unless it came out since last thursday.

rpoz27 is upset because he's/she's been trumped as the main clown stirring stuff up. LOL

In all seriousness guys, see my rules change request note I'm posting tonight.

Allowing Corvettes into American Iron is a major change and we are not going to make any major changes for 2013.

If it weren't for a few clarifications needed, we'd be changing the dates and running it over again to allow the further development of cars to the current ruleset.

We'll watch the ST2 changes from the sidelines and evaluate next year.

(Sounds like they are getting slower and we're getting faster!)

rpoz27 is upset because he's/she's been trumped as the main clown stirring stuff up. LOL

Classy. Once again your attempts at humor result in an insult because you have no idea what you are talking about.

If you look at the title of the series, it doesn't even fit, regardless of everything else... What is actually "iron" on a vette? Aren't they made from primarily carbon/fiberglass/aluminum?

Just sayin'