Norcal GTS3 times over the top at Thunderhill?

icemang17

I am wondering what type of times a top GTS3 car runs at Thunderhill over the top, since NASA runs the bypass.....most of the top GTS3 cars can run in the 1:55's on the bypass...which tells me its around 1:58's over the top....

I am still about 4 seconds behind in my car.....but I still have lots more room for improvement...the car is 175lbs too heavy and has zero aero..... here is my personal best from Thunderhill last Friday

One thing I also noticed is the time variance in GTS3 cars......one day they might be on the Pole with a 1:55 and later the same weekend they run 1:59's in the race, but still win? Is this from the "peak" of the Hoosier tires.... Is a perfect Hoosier that much better vs a "cycled out" one that still has plenty of tread left? My racing budget is extremely tight and there is NO way I can afford a set of tires that won't last for SEVERAL races.....I can't imagine having to buy tires PER weekend....

I have run 56's over the top on OK tires. Times at thunderhill will very a lot due to temperature. It is not uncommon for that track to vary lap times 2-3 seconds through the day. As far as race vs qualy times, once I get out in front and get a margin, I maintain the gap. I really don't care what lap time I am running.

-tony

• 3 weeks later...

Easily could be tires and conditions.

...at our last race this year, I ran a 2:22.9 in qualifying. On tires with 3 more heat cycles in them but less sunshine (hence) colder track, the best I could manage was a 2:24.7

ONE of my tires went off (heat cycled out, had plenty of depth) during the 2nd race, and the best time I could manage by the end was 2:27.. So conditions and tires made for a 5 second variance.

I think that's pretty typical in a race. The first couple laps, when your tires are the best, are usually in traffic. You don't normally get that in qualifying. Also, the goals are different. In qualifying, it's to get the fastest lap. In the race, the goal is to be in front.